Rear Light Clusters

Guest jwts

Hi,

I know the fog lamps have to be vertical for the IVA but is this also true for the light clusters on the rear wings? Drilling the holes where marked has them pointing slightly upwards.

If it is necessary a pointer to the relevant section in the IVA manual would be very useful.

Thanks for any info,

John (jwts).

Hi John,

From memory (my IVA manual is currently in the garage), but I think all the rear lights now have to be at 90 degrees to the road surface (not inclined), same as the fog light.

So it may entail fettling a little from the lower face.

I may be wrong though, but will check tomorrow afternoon unless someone comes along witht he definitive answer in the meantime.

Cheers

Al

Edit: Just checked the manual via Miikeas link (ta Mike). Section 20 through 30 details light fitting etc, the only rear light that appears not required as vertical is the reverse (this must just show to the rear). So it would appear all rear lights (bar the reverse), as for the rear fog.

When I had my IVA the tester said that the rear light set didn't have to be at 90 degrees, but the reflector (and fog lamp) did.

I fixed the reflector for the retest - but at the retest the tester said that some new guidence had been issued saying the reflectors didn't have to be at 90 degrees either - probably because most reflectors on productions cars are shaped in some way anyway...

Hope this helps

Guest Noddy006

Hi John

Just to add to previous quotes I had packed out all my rear lights for IVA but the tester at Leighton Buzzard said that it wasn't necessary for any of them. The angles of the wings and back panel were near enough. Trouble is this looks like one of those grey areas where the local tester has his own version of the rules so you can't be sure. Might be worth the agro of ringing your proposed VOSA test site and asking before you take it. Best of Luck.

Ian H

When I had my IVA the tester said that the rear light set didn't have to be at 90 degrees, but the reflector (and fog lamp) did.

I fixed the reflector for the retest - but at the retest the tester said that some new guidence had been issued saying the reflectors didn't have to be at 90 degrees either - probably because most reflectors on productions cars are shaped in some way anyway...

Hope this helps

Thanks Ian, and thanks to the others who replied.

I've figured out a way to pack the top and sides of the cluster with Lidl draft sealer strip. It doesn't look too silly (it's amazing what can be done with matt black spray paint) and it can be undone after the test if I want. I always try to do things in such a way they can be undone if necessary - which is probably why I'm still building after nearly two years :) .

John (jwts)

I always try to do things in such a way they can be undone if necessary - which is probably why I'm still building after nearly two years :) .

John (jwts)

Yep thats why my build took 5 years. Spent so much time thinking how i could attach something without damaging anything incase i wanted to do it a different way later. If i was to build another one i could do it so quickly having learnt from the first one. I always hated having to drill into the chassis through my nice powder coating hopeing that i'd got it in the right place.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, it took me closer to 6 years, so 2 years sounds like a cracking pace :D

Yep thats why my build took 5 years. Spent so much time thinking how i could attach something without damaging anything incase i wanted to do it a different way later. If i was to build another one i could do it so quickly having learnt from the first one. I always hated having to drill into the chassis through my nice powder coating hopeing that i'd got it in the right place.

Harvs, Agent_zed,

Did you ever calculate how many hours you spent on your build? At a very rough estimate I reckon I've spent over 700 hours on mine and it is still not finished.

As a classic example of Agent_zed's comment; I recently spent over 8 hours building the offside rear mudguard assembly (mudguard + lights with added packing + wiring + clips) and less than 2 hours building the nearside assembly.

Regards,

John (jwts).

Did you ever calculate how many hours you spent on your build?

Not really! I've very much treated the build as an ongoing hobby rather than setting a target for getting it on the road...

I've only gone in the garage when I've really felt like it and purposely tried not to feel guilty if I've not done anything on it for a while - there seems to be so many distractions (gardening in summer, too cold in winter (even with a heater!), DIY in the house, busy being away with work, weekends away with friends and relatives, children.... the list goes on and on!). But when I've been in the mood and had the time, I've really enjoyed being in the garage and seeing the build develop.

As you've said, I think the majority of the time has been spent thinking how to do things, rather than actually doing them! Probably something like...

80% thinking time

15% first stab at doing it

5% doing it again, but properly!

So, if I were to offer any advise, it would be to enjoy the build and don't worry how long it takes - it's a hobby, not a race!