Up-rated Top Wishbone And Dummy Strut Kit

Guest old_timbo

Guest Angel Boy
Still struggling to get my fixed scuttle conversion finished and my car back on the road, but when I have done that I'll pick up on the wishbones again.

Tim

Pull your finger out then man, I'm chopping at the bit :vava: :rolleyes: :D

No problems about the list, one of my more helpful moments.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,I would like to order the complete kit unpainted please.What are the details for payment also i will need a return address for exchange dummy struts.Ideally would like to order / pay by phone.

Many thanks dai.s

Up-rated top wishbone and strut kit for Robin Hood wishbone 2B's

In order to rectify the poor standard front suspension geometry, this kit replaces the standard top wishbones and strut. This allows greatly improved geometry for both castor and camber build characteristics. The result is greater front end grip, increased steering feel and centring.

The kit is also designed to offer fine adjustment of camber and castor allowing both sides of the car to be equalized properly unlike with the standard wishbone.

Kit Includes:

2 Replacement top wishbones.

4 High quality spherical joint bush replacements and lock nuts.

2 Camber adjusters

2 Extended dummy struts

Features

Wishbones:

High spec. mild steel seamless tubing.

Fine adjustability for camber using screw adjuster and shimming with washers for castor.

Designed around standard Transit draglink as top ball joint.

Extended dummy strut:

Increases height of top pivot for better camber build characteristics.

Options

1. Complete kit including black painted exchange extended strut, painted wishbones, camber adjusters and bronze lined spherical joints: £120 + Postage.

2. Complete kit , unpainted: £110 + Postage

3. Pair of wishbones (Unpainted) £65 + Postage

4. Extended Strut (pair) £20 + Postage

5. Fitting service including full 4 wheel alignment, camber and castor setting available.

Notes

· Dummy struts sold on an exchange basis only as the originals are required for modification.

· The replacement wishbones must be used in conjunction with extended struts.

· If extended struts are used with the original RHSC top wishbones, the wishbones will require modification (shortening).

· Headlamp mounting brackets and head lamp mounts may need adjusting to clear top wishbones on full bump.

· Wheel arch mounting brackets attached to struts will need modification.

Please PM with requirements.

This kit has been tried and tested on my 2B, so should fit any other pre GBS 2B too. However if the car is brought to us, we will fit the first set sold free of charge to make sure there are no unexpected problems.

Thanks

Tim

See this link for more photos: http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/Pi...2B%20Wishbones/

Guest Angel Boy

Dai.s added to the list

1. Andy Stather (Option 1 - complete kit, painted with dummy extended strutts)

2. Joel (Option 2 - unpainted kit)

3. Duff Robinson ( Full kit at £120 )

4. dai.s (Option 2 - Complete kit , unpainted: £110)

Andy

• 4 weeks later...
Guest tommy holly

Andy,

Thanks for starting the list. There were a couple of others that were interested at the beginning of the year, so it looks like we might get the numbers. Still struggling to get my fixed scuttle conversion finished and my car back on the road, but when I have done that I'll pick up on the wishbones again.

Tim

Hi tim, Can i order the option one kit please, if you could let me now when they would be ready not in a big rush so don't panic

Cheers TOMMY

Guest Angel Boy

Here you go:

5. tommy (Option 1 - Full kit)

Andy

Here you go:

5. tommy (Option 1 - Full kit)

6. Tony Sharp (Option 1 - Full kit)

Andy

I'm sure I replied to this, but it must've got lost somewhere.

Option 3 for me please (I assume this includes the camber adjusters and bronze lined spherical joints?)

This'll be a winter job for me so no rush.

Many Thanks...

Guest old_timbo

So no pressure to get on with it then! Actually very timely as, Yippee! fixed scuttle finished and passed the MOT today, so I'm back on the road again. A good hoon around this evening is called for! :yahoo:

I've also had a go at taper boring the inserts for the top of the dummy struts. Much easier than I thought, so no need to muck about with reusing the originals. Although I could really do with a bandsaw or power hacksaw to cut 20mm long lengths from 40mm dia. steel bar.

I've made up a couple of struts see photo which I'll fit on Saturday. I did a trial fit before they were painted to make sure the ball joints don't reach their limits, and they work fine.

I'm planning on going to the SG7 meet in Baldock on Sunday, so anyone interested can take a look there.

Tim

post-1398-127558808475_thumb.jpg

post-1398-12755881371_thumb.jpg

Guest Angel Boy

So no pressure to get on with it then! Actually very timely as, Yippee! fixed scuttle finished and passed the MOT today, so I'm back on the road again. A good hoon around this evening is called for! :yahoo:

I've also had a go at taper boring the inserts for the top of the dummy struts. Much easier than I thought, so no need to muck about with reusing the originals. Although I could really do with a bandsaw or power hacksaw to cut 20mm long lengths from 40mm dia. steel bar.

I've made up a couple of struts see photo which I'll fit on Saturday. I did a trial fit before they were painted to make sure the ball joints don't reach their limits, and they work fine.

I'm planning on going to the SG7 meet in Baldock on Sunday, so anyone interested can take a look there.

Tim

post-1398-127558808475_thumb.jpg

post-1398-12755881371_thumb.jpg

Cool, I'll start stripping my front end this weekend then :shok: :good:

No pressure (kidding) :wacko:

Andy

What is the latest on the modified dummy strut and top wishbone purchase?I have made some struts and worked out how much to shorten the original top wish bones but would like the kit as it allows you to alter the castor angle and camber settings easier.I have taper reemers but they are 2.98 degs taper,If no joy with purchase i will buy a transit ball joint and measure taper and plod on when time allows.Also does any body supply taper shims / wedges to alter the rear bump steer problems?

Many thanks dai.s

Guest old_timbo

Waiting for me to get on and fabricate them! The taper is 1.5" per foot.....which works out to 7.12 degrees, so when boring the taper in a lathe you set the tool at 3.5 degrees. I was talking to Peter Bell today, and he can supply wedges that adjust the camber and the toe-in.

Tim

Waiting for me to get on and fabricate them! The taper is 1.5" per foot.....which works out to 7.12 degrees, so when boring the taper in a lathe you set the tool at 3.5 degrees. I was talking to Peter Bell today, and he can supply wedges that adjust the camber and the toe-in.

Tim

Thanks tim,Could you supply a e-mail address or link so I could arrange purchase of wedges from peter bell.looked in for sales but no joy and short of time.

Thanks dai.s

• 1 month later...
Guest old_timbo

Quick update on where I am with this. Bandsaw purchased, tube and bar delivered, manufacture underway. I'll post some pictures to show progress. Unfortunatley been away on holiday and business which has slowed things down. However have given the new setup a good thrashing at Barkston which it came through with flying colours :)

Tim