Dohc Sierra Donar

Guest Davelloyd

Guest Davelloyd

Hi

Is anyone building (built) the DOHC kit?

In the video it states to keep the donor front crossmember. However I cannot see how this is used in the kit construction. Is the video wrong or is it me ?

Does anyone have an idea of the wieght of the DOHC engine & gearbox ?

Many thanks

Dave :boohoo:

HI I HAVE A DOHC 2 B CAR ON THE ROAD I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE CAR THE ENGIN IS A BIT BIGGER THAN THE PINTO BUT GOES WELL THE DOHC KIT HAS A DIFFRENT CHASSI TO ALLOW FOR THIS. WHEN DID YOU GET YOUR KIT ?? i DO NOT REMBER THAT BIT IN MY VIDEO AND DID NOT USE IT IN MY BUILD SEE MY WEBSITE http://www.stevedohc2b.freeserve.co.uk

Guest Battery Bill

Oooh stop shouting Steve ;)

'Bout the same as a ships anchor! very similar properties

Could read "Bout the same as Big Jim! Very similar properties" :lol: :lol:

Both get stuck in a hole and won't budge :lol: :lol: And similar in weight too :lol: :lol:

I'm halfway through my build. There seems to be no mention of the Sierra cross member (actually I'm not sure what it is to be honest). Someone's bound to correct me but I reckon the DOHC will not be much heavier than a Pinto because its got an ally head (Pinto's is cast iron). People slag this engine off all the time but its got a better torque curve than Mr. Pinto and its more economical IIRC. I like it. It fits well in the DOHC chassis; a bit tight but you can shoehorn it in.

There's loads of pictures of my build on my web site - just click the "WWW" button below and go and make a cuppa (because its a single page). You should be able to make out the chassis and engine installation easy.

Nice to know there's another DOHC builder out there as well as Steve (NO NEED TO SHOUT MATE ;) ).

Cheers

JonB

PS, Bill : Stop winding Jim up.

Guest Davelloyd

Many thanks Jon & Steve for your info

I collected my DOHC kit Dec 2002, which I guess is when you collected yours. It was a very taut day; the van rental firm let me down on the day and was unable to let me have a van. At short notice it proved impossible to find another van, so I decided to pick up the kit by car! If you were there at the time you may have noticed us. My son and I had driven up in two cars and crammed the kit in just, the chassis on the top of my Sons car. What a day.

For a number of logistical reasons I have been unable to start the build until now and have just commenced to strip the donor. Unfortunately fate has struck again in the form of a snapped archellises tendon (playing squash at my age). I will be in plaster for eight weeks (the frustration of not working on the RH!).

Once I am able to recommence I would be grateful for your experience of the build.

Will contact you in due course.

:boohoo:

Dave

Guest Battery Bill

JonB

PS, Bill : Stop winding Jim up.

Can't do that, he is unwindupable arn't you Jim :D

Dave

Does anyone have an idea of the wieght of the DOHC engine & gearbox ?

Why exactly do you need to know ?.... Wont "Bloody Heavy" suffice ? ;)

I have this "Mad Professor type" of friend who when he first saw the kit asked questions like:

Q...What type of Stainless Steel is the chassis? :wub:

A...Stainless type I suppose. :D

Q...Exactly how heavy is the Engine? "After seeing scrape marks on the concrete where we dragged the donor engine out. :wub:

A.... Bloody heavy. He seemed satisfied with that answer :D :D

He probably thinks I am pretty clever now :lol: :lol:

Guest Davelloyd

Thanks Bat. Bill for that useful information i.e. a DOHC engine & gearbox is heavy.

Ask a stupid question and you get a predictable answer.

Being a bit of a mad prof type myself I thoughr I would be 'scientific' and get some rope (to lift the engine from the chasis) that had a braking strain greater than the weight of engine ( Am I being too neurotic here ?)

Perhaps I should stop thinking and do it.

Dave

Guest TerryBarry

I lifted a pinto engine and gearbox out of donor and later into the Hood using one length of Sierra seat belt webbing wrapped three times through the lifting eyes on the engine.

My sources tell me that the breaking strain (of a single piece) is well over a tonne and you could lift a whole Sierra using it.

HTH

Terry

Guest Battery Bill

Dave

Rope will be fine but unless you have to resort to a bit of Dragging a hoist/crain will be the best bet. We had cut the whole front of our Kebab so it came straight out But it was Heeavvy. I have in the past did the same with a 3.5 Rover engine (lifted it out on my own) so I thought the Pinto would be easy ;) ;)

I took my pinto engine/gearbox out with a home made hoist, 2 A frames and a cross beem with a jib in the middle, so I had 4 points of contact on the ground and all ballenced.

I put each leg in turn (no not my legs :p ) on the bathroom scales and got 62KG on each of the 4 legs, this makes the Pinto engine and gearbox together weigh around 250KG