Weather Gear, Hood Stays

Snapperpaul

Thanks Longboarder just what i wanted to see and on a 3 as well.

I have the bars as supplied in the original kit, they look like they need the bends tweaked.

I also like the hinge brackets for the smaller bar, another design plagiarized.

Here are some photos of mine, its not truly finished as I want to make a stronger mounting bracket out of stainless and I still need to tweak the bars as they sit right on the back when down but they are not parallel with the roll bar when up.

I found the bending of the supplied bars to be a bit off so laid them on the back of the car and marked where the bend lines should be and tweaked with my knee, I then drilled through the two bars to create the pivot. I drilled the pivot for the 'L' bracket last to get the position where it lands on the back of the car and clamped for testing.

bendlines.jpg

Lbrktdrside.jpg

part 2

After fixing most of the hood down I looked at the door position and found I had to cut the windscreen pillars away in order for them to fit.

windscreenprecut.jpg

After trimming the pillar down I put the door in position and marked with tape where needed adjusting then took off again and 'Beat with a big hammer'...I mean gently adjusted.

windscreencut.jpg

bendpoints.jpg

Once I was happy with the doors I finished the roof fixings using turn buckles nearest the door for i bit more strength. have been using it in rain and snow and it seems to work.

hoodinsnow.jpg

p.s. excuse the mess in the garage I'm in the middle of trying to find some leaks :unknw:

Nearly forgot, the smaller bar at the back goes into the Velcro strap on the hood and I tension the front bar back to the roll bar with light luggage straps.

When I had the original hood fitted this is how mine looked.

post-347-1264265299_thumb.jpg

The bracket mounting has a captive nut for easy removal of the bars.

I now have a home made hood and I only use one bar which when raised is attached to the roll bar to make it rigid.

post-347-1264265928_thumb.jpg

post-347-1264265966_thumb.jpg