Help Requested ....

Guest Ian Marr

Guest Ian Marr

Well my two weeks off have started and I have developed a list of jobs as long as my arm.

I'm really grateful for the various offers of help :friends: . Confirmed plans to date are;

Sat 6th - Me (Day spent tiding garage n kit up ready for a proper day tomorrow)

Sun 7th - Me (Workshop never looked so tidy - must do some work! ... sorted bonnet stay, tried to charge battery (dead as a dodo) and did some more on seat fixing - well scratched my head anyway)

Mon 8th - Me (Filled engine with oil (no leaks), filled cooling system (no leaks), going for new battery and gas for superser (brrrr) ... Later ... Battery in - ignition powers up - yippee - still no oil leaks small water leak - tightened hose clamp now okay. Messed around trying to get flow n return heater pipe work through bulkhead - eventually managed after several changes of route due to fouling on one thing or another - now in a loop until heater installed (post windscreen/IVA?) finished night by lowering bonnet to see if it still clears everything and found it curls in and touched +ve terminal - one shark shock later realised I need to make a guide so it can not repeat!)

Tues 9th - Me (Been busy most of the day on 'Marrian', but not completed many jobs. Started installing two two tone horn (in and works :shok: ), I've gone for a front hinged bonnet and when wiring up felt it would be good to be able to split the wiring so I can remove the bonnet in the future - anyway had to think about earthing back to main chassis and have now started to fit the stalk indicators and bring a feed from the main wiring loom. Fire service drill night tonight so had to finish early.

Wed 10th - Me (Properly back in the zone :yahoo: finished horn wiring and stalk indicators and put power on after first one - and without key in ignition it was constantly flashing - checked an double checked wiring could see nothing - planned to resolve later - got second one on and powered up - both flashing - :unknw: - realised hazard warning switch was on (doh :fool: ). Wanting to get scuttle fixed in place but need n/s panel on first - so made a start on it before tea - now going back for an hour or so - should have it moved on a bit by th etime Norm and Mike land tomorrow morning :hi: )

Thur 11th - Mike Bacon & Norman Massey & Me (Norm and Mike arrived as planned this morning :hi: :hi: and brew in hand we went straight to it. Set on checking out things prior to turning the big start key - especially the timing belt and cam/crank pulleys. It is a little while since I assembled things and while I would have expected me to have done it all by the book - doubt is often found sitting on my right shoulder and twittering in my ear. So felt needed a coat of checking. Once cambelt cover was off (bit of a pig now as top hose is v close) initial thoughts were my concerns were well placed. But on further inspection I had done it right - glad we checked anyway :good: . This led to turning the engine over without fuel - bearing in mind this is 8 years since run it was quite a moment ot see the engine begin to come to life :cray: . This done we pulled a plug to see if we got a spark - no - this led to a range of checks to prove things getting power and checking the coil for resistance. Everything seems to be checking out okay at the moment so not sure yet. The coil does leak a little oil from the top - it has even done it stood up on the bench for a few days (swelling?) - gut reaction tells me this is it and Mike has another he can lend me to try a swap to see if it makes a difference. Anyway not running under own power just yet :lazy: . We have also sorted out the n/s panel following the NW Hoodies method as I did on the o/s (flat against front and curve at rear - I recommend this approach - thanks go to the 'Red Roses" :give_rose: ). Slightly different fit :rolleyes: , but all sorted and no kinks (yet), even got the curve close to the one on the other side Can now focus on the scuttle and dash fit. Many thanks to N&M for your time, knowledge and patience :clapping:

- RHOCaR meeting at Darlington

Fri 12th - Me (Dipped out of working on car for a fair chunk of today as Ally off so went for a walk up in Wensleydale til mid afternoon. Tried Mike's coil, but no progress at the moment - I'll wait til Mike returns next week before looking at it again. Spent the rest of the afternoon sorting out some riveting of panels and measuring up for the scuttle fit)

Sat 13th - Me (Not very productive today - plenty of head scratching and not enough action!)

Sun 14th - Me (Bit more focused, working on the side panels and making infill panels to fit around the tubes and curved panel)

Mon 15th - Me (Trip to Northallerton for HT bolts, acrylic sheet and ali angle. Finished off the nearside panel and infills between curved panel and cabin. Should get the o/s panel finished off tomorrow before Mike arrives so we can have a further look at the ignition electrics)

Tues 16th - Mike Bacon and Me (spent most of the morning checking all the ignition circuits to see if we could get a spark. Eventually we did although not entirely sure what we changed/fixed. Anyway after lunch we set about getting a temporary fuel supply rigged up and tried to start the beast. It coughs and splutters but despite several valient efforts the sherwood damsel is still playing hard to get :angel: - see new thread for more detail. When the carbon monoxide detector went off in the workshop we felt it was time to stop :shok: . Once again thanks to Mike for his time - we sure know more about the ignition wiring diagrams :good: )

Wed 17th - Me (Finished the side panels underneath and also trimmed back the excess s/steel on the floor panels - made a start on sorting something to stop the bonnet fouling on the +ve terminal :shok: )

Thur 18th - Me (need to be at work in the morning)

Fri 19th - Me (& Ian Johnson late afternoon)

Sat 20th - Tim Norman, Ian Johnson & Me

Sun 21st - Tim Norman, Red7, Redspec, Chris27, Ian Johnson, masterforth & Me

Mon 22nd - Back at work :cray:

I'll update this as we go. :good:

Due to excessive ramblings I have had to start a new posting further down to update progress.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ian Marr

Updated progress :search: on post at top of page 2. Now off to get some gas to keep me toasty and a new battery as original never used and being 8 years old is flat, dead, and not accepting charge :rolleyes:

Guest The Modfather

What you got planned for today Ian? Why are you still on here? Get out into the garage, man, there's things to be done!

Or, do you have your computer in the garage, now that would be cool B)

Keep updating us.

Regards

darren

Guest Ian Marr

No computer in workshop, but now you mention it ... (message to self - stop procrastinating)

Since this morning;

I've bought and fitted new battery and connected leads - no smell of burning and ignition lights come on on dash - I sense life around the corner ( :yahoo: )

Bought and fitted butane to Super Ser - now warm :good:

Bought gas for blowtorch and started getting flow n return coolant pipes/hoses through bulkhead to blank off/create a loop until ready to fit heater.

Also put enquiry in for tank from Allyfab.

Just had cuppa and going back for more.

Looking forward to Mike n Norman coming on Thursday - will we attemp/get the beast to sing :unsure:

Just started snowing - glad Super Ser back on form

Guest Tim Norman

Make sure you leave something for Ian J and I to do or we might just have to empty your fridge of beer and wine.

I have made a managerial decision to set off bloody early Saturday morning, so should be there in time for bacon!! You'll know when to put the kettle on! :D

Guest Ian Marr

If I have finished by a week on Saturday - I will more than happy to feed you as much bacon/beer/wine/curry as you could uncomfortably eat :bad:

Mind you ... while I have had a positive day in the garage and beginning to remember why I started this ... my skills at chin scratching, tea making and ruminating still prevail.

I'm thinking about doing another hour or so this evening.

:good:

Will set kettle to 110dB ... =@

If I have finished by a week on Saturday - I will more than happy to feed you as much bacon/beer/wine/curry as you could uncomfortably eat :bad:

Ian if you have finished by a week come Saturday you will need to inflate all the tyres, so we have something to kick when we come down on the Sunday :D

PM me your address and a contact number in case I get lost (you know what us lads from up norf are like once we get past Scotch Corner :lol: :lol: )

Steve

Guest Ian Marr

Updated job-log on page two.

Hoping for a good day tomorrow :good:

Off to fire station for an RTC drill - might get the lads to call around to lift the lathe out of the trailer - I'll develop a manual handling drill :db:

Might have a vodka or two later :drinks:

Guest Ian Marr

Updated daily log - although going back for an other hour so this evening :shok:

Did not get lathe moved as manual handling drill was not on the cards - however an audit by the district and group managers was :acute:

Well into 'the zone' even the 6 hens are on form as they laid 6 eggs between them today :good:

Roll on tomorrow

Guest Ian Marr

Have updated daily log above

Many thanks to Norm and Mike.

Off to NE (South) Area meeting tonight at Darlington to chew the cud a little more (Ally going as well :shok: )

:D

Ian