A Reminder!

Big Jim

There is a saying and it goes " health and safety,,,,,, Remove all the signs and let the problem sort itself out!!!!!"

I see that this applies to people who drive under the influence, only difference is they usually take an innocent party out at the same time,

I dont feel strongly about much in life and am pretty laid back but this is something that really does annoy me,,, so selfish!!!!!!!!!!!

Your right, there should be more proactive media to make these idiots think a little. every action has a reaction!

Guest The Modfather

That is probably the most graphic "public" information broadcast I have ever seen for a DD campain. It is a shame they do not show it in the uk.

There is nothing worse than dealing with a road death arising from drink/drug driving, unless kiddies are involved. These idiots that cause death through DD are not mentally with it when it happens, and so their heads are not filled with the sometimes very messy images of loss of a life. It is only when they sober up do they realise the sh'ite that they are in, but they are still saved from the haunting flashbacks that we suffer when having to clean up their ignorant act.

I reckon all those DD's that are caught before they kill someone should attend a post mortem of such a victim, sit through police videos of DD collision sites and speak face to face with officers who have dealt with this, but more importantly, speak face to face with the families of those that have lost their innocent lives to tw@ts that DD.

That's on top of a total life ban from driving, once they have served 10 years inside. If caught after a DD road death, well, my thoughts are not printable on a family forum.

This is however just the opinion of a police officer who has laid awake for hours and whole nights because he was to scared to close his eyes and see the horrific images all over again. But hey, don't let any of this put you off your beer, but just remember it when you next drive to the pub just for one.

Enjoy life.

That was very painful to watch, but I watched it four times. There is something about the shock factor in it which takes you as close to the reality of a fatal collision as you can get without being there. Made me shiver.

Why on earth can't we show something like this in the UK? Are we frightened that it might shock and offend someone? As a traffic officer in the 90s I attended dozens of fatals and for each one was struck by the total futility of it. The last fatal I dealt with as a PC was a husband and wife - he wanted to take her out for a ride on his brand new Suzuki superbike. She had never been on a motorbike before. They stopped at a pub and had a couple of drinks. He was just over the limit. Riding home he decided to show off by leaning the bike over on a tight motorway slip road. She panicked and leaned in the opposite direction to him, causing the bike to straighten up and plough into the armco. She was catapaulted into the opposite barrier and crushed her skull. Utterly pointless.

In those days virtually all the drink drivers we nicked were middle-aged businessmen in decent cars because they thought we would never look at them twice. The younger drivers were the ones with the responsibility. I'm sad to say that these days it is more likely to be someone in their late teens or early twenties, male or female; makes no difference.

Sobering and inspiring post; thanks Jim