Seat Belt Mount

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

the bottom seatbelt mound on a zero, the one down just behind the crescent panels, looks like theres a nut welded onto the back of a bracket...does any one know what size and thread this hole is? M10 is too small, M12 is too big, possibly in hood syle a compleley different thread all together? any ideas?

Guest boggybogstar

make sure you use the ones with the belts, or ones for the corrct tensile, also take a photo because when you bolt the seats in you cant see them.

The examiner at my SVA and others I have spoken to who have gone through an IVA wanted evidence of how the bottom mounts are welded to the chassis, if I hadnt had a photo then I would have had to taken the seat out on the day

The examiner at my SVA and others I have spoken to who have gone through an IVA wanted evidence of how the bottom mounts are welded to the chassis, if I hadnt had a photo then I would have had to taken the seat out on the day

Tony,

The Super Spec lower inner seat belt mounts are fitted below the strengthening plate that runs across the chassis and the bolt goes through the plate into the mount. The plate is bolted to the floor of the car and I have added extra plates to bolt it to the chassis at each end but nowhere is the strengthening plate or the mount itself welded to the chassis.

Can a Super Spec builder who has passed IVA confirm it doesn't have to be welded?

The other three mounts are integral to the chassis.

Regards,

John (jwts).

Guest boggybogstar

Hi John

On mine the examiner wanted to ensure the bottom mounts were robust enough to take the force of an impact, I suspect that it doesnt matter if they are welded or bolted as long as they follow a specification, I remember him saying he had one instance of a car being presented where the bottom mounts were held on with small bolts through the chassis rail !!!!

The point is once the seats in place you cant see them (unless your using runners).

-

yeah they are a weird size. I think i remember reading that the bolt does not need to be marked as high tensile (although obviously it is). Certainly the ones i took out of the sierra and re-used didn't have markings. They always seem to be a weird gold colour and have a different type of head.

If you have a friendly scrappy i'd try and get some there, probably from the back as they are unlikely to have ever been used in anger and you know they are the proper bolts.

I managed to get away with 10mm high tensile bolts (8.8) for my 4-point top mountings on my 2b, but ive heard it said that some have failed so not sure whether to say they are ok or not.

hth

## hmmm apparently 8 and ) is a weird icon - i ment 8.8

Edited by agent_zed

Hi all. 8.8 is the tensile marking on metric bolts only. Imperial sizes, i.e.. unf / unc use 3 lines or 6 lines.

The seat belt bolts are an international standard fit. they are 7/16 x 20tpi. Spanner size is 11/16. 17mm is smaller, it won't fit!

HTH,

Nick.

On the 2B, I welded a nut on a plate and placed it behind the bracing plate before bolting through the bracing plate into the welded plate. Finally I riveted both plates.

Showed the examiner and he was fine.

First photo is the welded plate and the 2nd with the belt fitted in place. The 3rd is of the reflection of the welded plate behind the brace plate.

post-1962-1265295859_thumb.jpg

post-1962-1265295879_thumb.jpg

Guest smartfazer
On the 2B, I welded a nut on a plate and placed it behind the bracing plate before bolting through the bracing plate into the welded plate. Finally I riveted both plates.

Showed the examiner and he was fine.

First photo is the welded plate and the 2nd with the belt fitted in place. The 3rd is of the reflection of the welded plate behind the brace plate.

How did you do the inner mounting?

Steve

The inner mounting is free apart from where it's bolted through the bracing plate on the Chassis and the 3 rivets that just hold it in place.

On the 2B there is a natural mounting plate where 2 struts join at a 30degree angle. This is welded already so I assume you can weld a nut onto the back if you want to.

I had the sides on and made these up to demonstrate double strength. IVA man said it was belt and braces which is good enough for me.

Guest smartfazer
The inner mounting is free apart from where it's bolted through the bracing plate on the Chassis and the 3 rivets that just hold it in place.

On the 2B there is a natural mounting plate where 2 struts join at a 30degree angle. This is welded already so I assume you can weld a nut onto the back if you want to.

I had the sides on and made these up to demonstrate double strength. IVA man said it was belt and braces which is good enough for me.

Yes I see what you mean.

But how did you do the inner mountings? The ones inboard by the transmission tunnel.

Steve