Seat Fitting

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

righty ive got to fit the seats into my zero, (standard leather ones that came with the kit) ive ordered rails for the drivers side seat, i had a look on the underside seats and they are covered with leather and i cant see any holes to mount the rails to? any one any idea how to attach the rail to the bottom of the seat? and also how i would bolt down the passenger seat to the floor? and also is it rails on the seat first then put the seat in the car and then mark out the holes in the floor to attach the rails to the floor?

Have a good look around the base of your seats. There are 4 tapped holes in them. You can just about see the front ones if you pull apart the material and the rears you can feel through the material so prob will need slitting open.

With regard to mounting, i believe you need spreader plates??. Personally speaking, i'm going to mount mine on welded in crossbars.

HTH

Nick.

Guest mcramsay

[spoke to richard at gbsc tonight, said you dont need any kind of spreader plates or anything like that, just the rails and maybe a few spacers under the front of the seat to make it tilt up a bit.

I will be fitting 2 bars, one for front mount of seat and one for the rear mount, 2 inches in width and running the entire width of the floor pan, It will only add approx 5 mm to the ground clearance, I'd hate for the seat to rip a hole through the floor pan,

I will be fitting 2 bars, one for front mount of seat and one for the rear mount, 2 inches in width and running the entire width of the floor pan, It will only add approx 5 mm to the ground clearance, I'd hate for the seat to rip a hole through the floor pan,

Ditto, The steel floor thats welded into the chassis flexes far to easily for my liking, and as you say, the chance of the bolts pulling through is relatively easy.

It's only 3mm plate after all.

Please check the IVA regarding width of spreader plate. .

I remember scanning through it and seeing something about 4" (100mm, ( or 101.6mm for the engineers :p )).???? I could be wrong though.

Regards,

Nick.

Hi all,

I have got some angle iron that I plan to bolt under the floor with a long chamfer front and rear to act like sledge runners. I have a lowered floor pan on my Zero to accomodate the seat runners and I rekcon if you just bolt the seats straight through the floor pan, then the first speed hump will radically alter your driving position!

I haven't checked the IVA manual but I think that this is a sensible precaution to take and unless anyone else can say that IVA won't like it, then my plan stays and I shall take the risk.

Regards

Sharky

Floor of 3mm plate ??? are you sure, seems very thick for any Hood.

Sorry, typo, meant 2mm. (bloody laptop keys and my pudding fingers don't mix, lol)

So for those that read 3mm........... it's worse at only 2!!

Thanks for pointing it out.

Nick.

Guest smartfazer
[spoke to richard at gbsc tonight, said you dont need any kind of spreader plates or anything like that, just the rails and maybe a few spacers under the front of the seat to make it tilt up a bit.

When you say rails. Do you mean seat runners?

I am not going to fix to the floor directly either. I will run some strengthening across and underneath the flooring first and mount the seats on that.

There's no way that IVA will let you get away with fixing straight to the floor panels only.

Steve

Guest mcramsay

richard from GBSC said you can just bolt straight through the floor with no problems.... has any one got a pic of what they have done with the seats? from underneath would be great, im having a hard time working out what people are on about!

Guest The Modfather

Mine are straight through the floor. I have a square of wood to raise the seat height a little, but the bolts just go straight thru the floor, no extra plates, just large penny washers.

seat fixing is a bit of a grey area, you can use spreader plates or fix to a structural component, but here's something to bear in mind, if you are involved in a frontal impact at 30mph, and you have your seat belts routed through slots in the seat back, then your forward and upwards motion will put about 3 tonnes of force through your seat mountings.

Guest chris brown
Sorry, typo, meant 2mm. (bloody laptop keys and my pudding fingers don't mix, lol)

So for those that read 3mm........... it's worse at only 2!!

Thanks for pointing it out.

Nick.

I'm surprised it's as thick as that. The 2B is 1mm floor and 0.7 for the remainder of the panels.

Guest mcramsay

when people say spreader plates what are they refferring to? has any one got a pic or a drawing? as i would like to fit the seats this weekend if possible! and obviously i would like to do it as safe as possible. i have way of welding so i cant weld strengthening plates under the foor or anything! if any one can explain a bit clearer or show me a pic it would be great!