Quick Question, Fuel Pump

Jamiep

Here goes don't laugh,

Am I correct in thinking the pinto 205 block was used from 1985? if so the fuel pump I require will be 85> not 82-85.

Just want to double check as QUINTON HAZELL list QFP88 for 82-85 and QFP114 for 85> and I want to send the wife shopping tomorrow! ;)

whats the difference by the way, did the early ones have the removable filter?

Regards,

Jamie

Guest Alan_builder
Here goes don't laugh,

Am I correct in thinking the pinto 205 block was used from 1985? if so the fuel pump I require will be 85> not 82-85.

Just want to double check as QUINTON HAZELL list QFP88 for 82-85 and QFP114 for 85> and I want to send the wife shopping tomorrow! ;)

whats the difference by the way, did the early ones have the removable filter?

Regards,

Jamie

:huh: Well the pinto seems to have been produced from 1970 to 1993.

The Sierra from 1982 to 1993.

Lots of people get their engines out of Cortina which used the Pinto engine as well and I am sure some say they are 205 blocks.

There was a change in the heads, valves for unleaded fuel about the time you have indicated.

So I think you may find one manual pump is for unleaded fuel and the other for leaded. I expect the rubber had to be changed.

I have 3 Haynes manuals and of course they don't say a word.

I :wub: my :rhsc:

Alan

Guest Noddy006

Hi Jamie

My fuel pump packed up a couple of weeks ago and got replacement no probs. It appears that there are two types one with removable filter (Early one) and later fixed. I fitted later one and seems O.K. although only done a couple of local runs in it. Got from Local Ford dealer Cost £45 Part No on rect 1475240. Not sure but I think the two are inter-changeable. HTH

Ian H

just had a dig around in the engine bay and my fuel pump matches this one from the haynes:

post-3623-1265839125_thumb.jpg

and my vapour seperator matches this one which it says if from 1985:

post-3623-1265839116_thumb.jpg

so hopefully I'll get the right one :rolleyes: £45 seems steep though, think i'll stick to partern part, seen them from as little as £10 new.

thanks for the answers.

Regards,

Jamie

There are 2 pumps which I think have the same stroke

" " 2 push rods one 5mm longer than the other

" " 2 gaskets one thin one thick

I think the long push rod has the thick gasket and the short one the thin gasket see if you can feel the pressure on the pump

by hand before tighting it up if no pressure turn engine half a turn and try again

HTH jon

I assume you are going to throw the vapour thingy away?

Why? It would be a help if I can as its very cramped down there, just changed the pump and the part I was supplied apparently superseded the option of 2 some time ago. Looks nothing like the original but the plunger sticks out the same distance and travels the same distance so stuck it on (using the original spacer, about 10mm i think it was) and it fired up fine.

Not had chance to take the car out yet though so will see if it solves my problem.