Taxing Problems

thespannerman

Taxing and MOT queriey please. My 3a is on the road and correctly registered. SVA on 02/03/09, registered on age related plate 12/03/09. Just renewd my insurance as I drove it to the SVA on the chassis number. Been to get it taxed at post office today, computer says no as there's no MOT. Explained it was first registered and issued a tax disc with no MOT on 12/03/09. So I am still in the same tax disc year ie. tax due end of Feb. Planning to go to Lincoln DVLA ofice next week or is it just a waste of petrol and time. If I have to MOT it can I have it dated to 12/03/09 ? or will that **** up the MOT computer aswell? Any views greatly recieved.

if you take it on the 13th feb for a test it will date the expiry as 12/03, although if it is in the system as not requiring a test and it shows as "too early to apply credit" or whatever it says.... then if you go ahead with the test it will date it from the day of test.

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Paul

Check your V5..... it should say when MOT is due, as you Know our car was regestered at Lincoln like yours and we got a 3 year period, some do only get 1.

Also your renewal will sate what docs. are needed to re-tax.

HTHs

Another of the many inconsistencies of the DVLA, what a fantastic shining example a government department.

You SVA your car and if you're lucky you don't need an MOT for 3 years, if you're unlucky you will need one after a year, seems to depend on which area you live in, but I believe officially only kits which qualify for a new reg number should be exempt from MOT for 3 years as they are deemed to be new vehicles, whereas age related and 'Q' plates are issued to 'vehicles manufactured from parts, some or all of which may not be new' and should be MOT'd after 12 months.

You may be trying to tax it too soon, try doing it on line and when you go through the process it automatically checks your MOT status, if you need one the system won't let you proceed any further.

yep i only got i year as it says on the v5 in the special notes ' kit built from parts which may not be new' or something like that. Ive heard it said that when registering it is best to get the 12months tax as you will need to get an mot after 6months if you get the 6month tax. thankfully went for the 12months.

hth

My V5 says REBUILT-ASSEMBLED FROM PARTS SOME OR ALL OF WHICH WERE NOT NEW and the tax renewal says AN APPROPRIATE MOT TEST CERTIFICATE. So I was hoping a bit!! Checked online before going to the post office and it also stumbled on the MOT. I'll save my petrol money and book an MOT leaving me nice gaps between MOT, insurance and tax for next year. Still have the 180lb springs on the front, does the suspension need some movement for the MOT? As I know a Motorbike can run with a hardtail?

Guest chrispine

Hi, did mine at the post office when it was less than three years old, couldn't do a Q plate online 7 months ago, the system hadn't yet been programmed to do it, took the V5 in, no problem, they didn't query it at all.

I have had a lot of communication with VOSA and DVLA over the MOT issue, generally you do not need an MOT for 3 years after SVA/IVA.

On this and other forums people still foolishly take their cars for MOT before SVA/IVA thus registering on the inflexible computer system, once on the system there is little chance you will get off.

Just to add another variable in to the mix, and this is when I stopped emailing DVLA, the local DVLA office when you first register, if it wishes, can ask for an MOT annually.

• 3 months later...

Well, hoping to have mine back on the road before the end of June so checked with DVLA.

They were like a fart in a trance and chucked me over to VOSA.

VOSA said I don't need one but DVLA might insist on one for Tax purposes even though I don't legally need one.

About as much use as a Fishnet Condom the lot of them :(