Main Line Fuse

Guest bloke

can ne1 advise what fuse ratin would be best for the fat red wire from battery to ignition/ efi loom...?

hopin this will protect the stuff due to my 'dodgy' attempts to wire the engine up...! :ph34r:

Hi Steve,

This is the "cut out switch" that I told you about, that I have fitted to my car.

As you can see, everything except the main feed to the starter, goes through this cintact breaker, so any major 'shorts' and it will dis-engage. (60A, I think!) It also makes it easy when working on the car, you just push the button to switch off all juice, instead of keep taking the battery lead off.(Which in itself isn't too hard with the battery in the "correct" place. (Hi Bill... ;) )

I've just found it. It came from MAPLIN part number. DR91Y and cost £9-99p

Jim

post-8-1076849951.jpg

Edited by Big Jim

Guest Battery Bill

Big Jim

"Your memory is going!" yikes the down hill slope is here, you will need a "Stannah Car lift" to get in your hood soon. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway less of this humour its not allowed :rolleyes:

The donor EFi loom has two "fusable links" up near the battery connections. On my setup these were removed when I shortened the wires, and I replaced them with 2 40A fuses - one in each wire. I too used strip fuses from VWP. I counted the strands in the wires, and measured their thickness. From memory they're 50 amp cabling, hence a 40A fuse in each is on the side of caution. Anything down stream of these wires is protected by the fuses in the fuse box.

Those circuit breakers look very neat, and reasonably priced too. They're probably better than the fuse solution, with the only downside being the need for somewhere to mount it.

Ant

Guest FIRSTBUILD

Hi I was worried about wiring problems in the intial stages of fitting the loom so I have temporarly fitted a 15 amp inline fuse between the battery and the 3 fat red wires from the efi loom, I started with a 5 amp and then a 10 amp - both blew-but the 15 amp seems ok. I have run the engine and tried some other bits" .

I would worry about 40 and 60 amp fuses at this stage because 40 amps will fry almost any circuit if its connected incorrectley.

Also its easy to leave after a session of working on the loom - just pull one fuse and you can sleep !

Steve