Electrical Connectors

Knock-on

Hi chaps

Nearly ready to start the rewiring part of the engine swop and the bit I have been dreading. Rewiring!!

(Checks around for a flash of Lightening and crash of Thunder and the mention of Wiring)

Can anyone recommend a good universal connector to use?

Cheers

Hi, I've used crimp on bullet connectors all over mine, with a few spade connectors and multi-plugs (from SVC) thown in.

I hate wiring and just did what seamed the best way at the time (and easiest to correct when I got it wrong).

Nick

Guest robinj66

Personaly I don't like bullet connectors (but then I am strange ;) ) so I used crimp on spade (Lucas) connectors where I thought I might want to take bits off and butt connectors where I didn't. I also found it a good idea to use heat shrink over every connection

Guest sadjagboy

I've purchased some connectors from this chap on ebay, delivery was very quick. Also purchased some bits and pieces from Premier Wiring, who are also on ebay and they were very quick too and answered a question about the item I had bought 2 months previously in about 20 minutes - couldn't believe I had an answer so quickly!

Link

Some general advice on crimp connectors in blocks:

If the wire is thin then fold over stripped end to increase thickness so the crimp can do its job properly.

Only strip off enough insulation to for the crimp size (I never leave more than 1 mm sticking out past the end of the crimp part)

Always leave enough insulation for the bigger crimp to bite into

There should be no need to solder if the crimp is good (if in doubt then solder may help, but its better to redo the joint).

High current connections should be double checked for crimp quality (even I solder these if they are in areas of low vibration)

Heat shrink is nice but not required for reliability (Mechanical disconnects are due to the looming putting stress or vibartion on the loom)

Use an electrical connector grease on all external and under bonnet connectors

Double check before pushing the connectors into the block as although you can get then out again it will weaken the connector

If the connector blocks don't lock into each other then I run a wire tie around them so they can't fall apart

I have a can of spray (dielectric) grease I've had for years, the writing has worn off the outside of the can but I'm sure it was from RS (15 years ago mind!). Maplins do some in a tube (Contralube 770). I'll do a google later and see if I can get part numbers. WD40 is another alternative and resists corrosion almost as well as the grease. It wasn't RS, it was Wurth, it's on this website http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_...amp;src=froogle but there may be other places to get it of course.