Nitrous

Guest loopyonion

What do you need to know...

I have installed Nos on numerous vehicles.

I have covered - wet kits, dry diesel kits

thermostatic bottle blankets, purge valves, single point and multipoint kits, 4 cyl to 8 cyl

plus use of progressive controllers.

The ONLY kit you should ever look at is a Wizards of NOS kit.

Ignore the US crap.. They use bad solenoids! And the American thread sizes are not compatible with uk threads.

Yes it works, but it's all in the preparation! It will expose a fault within your engine, whether electric or mechanical. The higher the power, the more bases you have to cover. My ford Orion runs 4 cylinder, multipoint progressive at 100 hp jets, given the intercooling properties if the nos. Would be 120 plus extra!

Check my video for what happens when you overlook something! It's in the general chat links section!

Guest loopyonion
do you reckon it could be set up to run with my bike carb pinto ? is the gas easy enough to come by for refills thats what puts me off mainly.

Dan

Dont worry about refills, There are numerous places to get bottles filled. Plus, you can fill your own for a fraction of the price.

Filling kits are about 50-70£, plus a set of scales.

Thottle bodies can be fitted with nos, you need a 4 way multipoint kit, wet system. about 650 ish i think from wizards of NOS. this will provide up to 100hp additional with other mods. The NOS kit itself is capable of 150plus.

At over 50hp, I recomend a progressive to minimise stress on the engine and transmission. When its activated, its a vertical line on the power curve.

at 75, new underwear is required without a progressive controller, with one fitted, its like having another 4 cylinders.

at 100hp... you get in trouble a whole lot quicker. Plus, you change your spark plugs for cooler grades, and start to look at retarding the timing.

Only ever look at WET kits, as they are safer.

If in doubt, ask for Trevor or Antony at wizards, or i will help as much as i can. My company is a wizards agent. (And im not on commision, i have tried the rest!)

In all, its worthwhile. You can get a wizards 5 lb bottle kit off ebay for about 300£ ish, and the solenoids carry a lifetime warranty!

Guest The Modfather

A friend of mine ran NOS on his drag bike, which was also street legal. When we used to go out for fun runs, he'd always give it a few goes. I have never seen a bike accelerate that quick!!!!!! How he even held on beggars belief. It is only for the extremely brave IMO :o :o :o

Guest loopyonion

Bikes are quick enough.. without that! We had a customer last summer who has a bandit 1200 with a 12 oz bottle kit.. he leaves R1's on acceleration.

Seriously, the setup has to be good, the kit has to be better!.

By shortening the run of tube from the pulsoid to injector, from say 6 inches to 4 inches, it can add 10-15 hp on the same jets.

It is worth doing, its not like fitting mad race cams, and big valve heads etc that may affect driveability all year round. When it rains, you turn it off, when it runs out, its turned off.. you arent stuck with it affecting your pleasure.

You can take it off, and sell it, or transfer it. I have fitted and removed 1 kit to 3 cars, as the guy kept changing cars! Change the main feed from the bottle, thats all the new parts required.!

Its safe, and amazing value. Say 50hp costs £600.. where else can you get 50 hp for near that money! Refills range from 40-50£ for a 11lb bottle. 25 for a 5lb. A 11lb will provide 25hp for 11 minutes on a good fill. half that time for 50bhp. etc. Progressives save you money on the NOS as they pulse the solenoids, giving less wasteage and better resistance to bottle pressure drops.

When we are talking about 11 minutes from examples above, when you activate the NOS, you will only use 3-4 secs at a time per gearchange. So, 11 minutes is a long time.

eg. My Orion ran 100hp on its setup, the progressive was set to a 2 second build from 50-100% power. I used it only in 3rd and 4th due to being FWD car. So, in 1/4 mile at 13 secs, per quarter mile, the nitrous was on for 3-4 seconds, and rarely reaching its 100hp power boost. So, it can use very little, and provide some VERY good results.

Hi Dan

been thinking about this myself.... seen the kits, but can't work out where to put the jets....

i'm running twin 40's with a manganosi manifold that is realy thin to get the carbs in...

do you go with drilling the manifold or somehow get the jets into the trumpets....

what size hole do you need to drill and tap for the jets???

cheers

C

Guest loopyonion

Twin carbs can be done 2 ways, either in the manifold or the trumpets. The closer to the head the better the power. The wizards multipoint kits use a 1.25mm thread 10mm diameter. So, you can fit them in quite easily. My cvh Orion runs a short inlet to a set of jenveys.

You can fit on the underside of the inlet, or even at the sides dependant on design. We have even done an St220 v6 stock manifold. As long as the tube runs to the injectors is almost the sane lenghth to all four Injectors.

You can also fit them into trumpets, although the response isn't as good, it's easier!

Guest Tim Norman

mmmmm. An extra 100hp on the V8. Could do the conversion while I upgrade to throttle bodies and an Emerald. I would need to find some money though. I could sell a kidney or a pair of bollox in a clear acylic display case, cos if I went this route I wouldn't be using them again :lol: :vava:

Mr Loopyonion you are a BAD MAN - you're going to get me into serious trouble. I haven't even got the engine in the car and running yet and I'm thinking of 300+bhp. I had been thinking about single or twin turbos but this just sounds sooo much easier.

Iain

Guest loopyonion

Your v8 would run about 150 ish given a good engine spec. 8 way multiport mmmm.. Loads of power. Be sure to build in an underwear storage drawer in the passenger compartment.

The question becomes, when does power become un- usable?

My nos system set to 1 sec build time, lost me time in the 1/4 mile. So, you will find a happy medium. Plus, it's nice to have the power there for bragging rights ;)

Guest loopyonion
I have a cossy turbo engine in my 2b sounds tempting to get more hp but what do the insurance companys think of nos

Paul

Nice.. The intercooling effect of a NOS system will give more than the jet size you have put in, so on a turbo, 100hp jets would make 120 plus!

Insurance companies are usually okay with it fitted, although some require it not to be used on the road, so just for drag racing etc.

It can be un-installed pretty quick if needed, about an hour if you did have a NOS induced incident.

Also, with all hoods being an open top sports, they should be more flexible to the rules as there is no enclosed space for the gas in the event of a leak. ( ie ford fiesta ).

On the plus side, the warmer the bottle, the higher the pressure, the more power! So, get the bottle on a nice bracket on the back shelf and keep it in the sun!

And just for those who watched fast and the furious, when the mitsubishi blows up, Nitrous is NOT flamable itself, but in the right conditions, it will help things burn..