Stainless Chassis And Stamping Chassis Numbers

Guest loopyonion

For my SVA I used a centre punch and a 10mm stencil, marked VIN on top of O/S headlamp plate using stencil and marker pen then centre punched a series of dots to permanently mark VIN number. I assumed this would be okay as mass produced cars use a dot punch type machine to mark the VINs on.

Jez

Om my Monocoque i stamped under the arm rests both sides straight on to the steel and had a GBS VIN plate stamped and rivited/bonded in the engine bay.

I also made up 2 steel plates and secreted them on the car so only I know where they are, if it got nicked and ringed i could still identify it.

when i got to this stage, i rang the dvla and sva and on their advice i stamped mine on wo pieces of stainless steel, rivetted one in the engine bay, and other at rear of car in the boot, both inspecters more than hapy with that.

i found that with any problems i had i rang the sva centre and the staff there where more than happy to help, kept saying that advice on the phone helps make their job easier.

Guest loopyonion

Done.. at least one set of stamping. :)

I just hit hard and fast, and you only get one go!

The stainless on where the bonnet sits gave good resistance with minimal surface deformation. Then, polished with black spray paint on a rag to bring out the letters.

Should be okay, can be read clearly, good spacing, etc. But, i will be taking my stamps with me to the test! And if mr inspector isnt happy.. i will restamp for the retest.

Im aiming for the morning slot, so hopefully if there is only a handful of issues, we can sort. The Navara will be filled to the brim with all manor of spares and trims. :)

Many thanks for your advice boys.. shouldnt be long now!