Battery Drills

Guest erichetherington

Guest erichetherington

I've come to the conclusion I need a decent battery drill, that was the easy part! But now I'm confused do I stick with good old NiCad or pay the extra for Li-ion?

Anyone got any advice and or experience. I'd really want a combi with hammer action as well and if it can do the job whilst I go for a beer that would be perfect :D

Guest AndyJW

It all depends on what you are useing it for and how much time you are going to be useing it. Is it just the odd diy job or seroius work tool. I worked for Hilti for 6 years and there range of Li-Ion are by far the best on the market. But thats if you want a tool designed for the construction industry. If not a Hilti I would only ever recommend a Makita. We did as part of product development, side by side tests with every make of tool and the only one that came close was Makita. In the contstruction world, DeWalt came last in all tests for lifetime.

It also depends on what you want to pay. Saying that I have myself a Hilti SFH-22A. Hammer drill and screw gun, 22v Li-Ion it is lighter than the 18v and lasts lots longer than anything else. it was £299 +vat and that includes 2 batts and charger, plus a 2 year "warranty". Even the motor brushes are covered against wear!

But bear in mind that Ni-Cd is old tech now and also look for the amps of battery. 18v is all well and good but if you only have 1.2amphr batts then they aint going to last. Thats why these cheaper kiuts supply loads of battery's in the kit cos they last about 5mins and need charging again....

Just my personal thoughts.....

Edited by AndyJW

I bought a cheap 24v hammer/drill from focus for £20 came with 2 batteries aswell and its served me well, don't expect to drill big holes in walls or use for high speed though they just dont have the grunt of 110/240v. I've used Dewalt alot on site working with stainless and they are good but abit pricey, they had two range settings for high speed low torque and high torque low speed which was handy. Aslong as you look after the batteries and don't just leave them on charge all the time they all seem to last well.

Guest The Modfather

Just bought a Bosch 18v hammer drill with 2 Li-On batteries, charger and some bits for £99 (half price) through Screwfix. Full charge inonly 30 mins. Now that is quick.

I have seen that B&Q are doing the same deal, but then they are the same company :o

Guest sadjagboy

I bought a Bosch 18v hammer cordless last year and I'm very happy with it, bought it in a B&Q sale and used a 15% discount voucher (link obtained on this site -thanks!) to bring the price right own to about £65 reduced from about £160, think they are still selling them at a full price of £140, but as said above this is old technology, consequently B&Q and no doubt others have them on offer quite often. It is not as good as professional ones like Hilti, Makita and Dewalt, but if you are not using it day in day out...

Regards

Angus

Guest erichetherington

Should have said earlier, it's for hobby use and I'd like to keep the budget tp <£100 if possible. I've been looking at Ryobi One+ 18v combi on Screwfix site, but it is NiCad. My garage is remote from the house and without power, so it might not get used every day but when it is I want to finish the job.

Guest julien

i brought a cheap brand argos li-lon battery drill about 40.00 quid and it was crap to say the least.took it back and changed it for a bosch with nicad battery for 10.00 quid more,whitch is A1. so unless ur spending big bucks id just get the best brand u can for ur money...

Guest manglemender
Should have said earlier, it's for hobby use and I'd like to keep the budget tp <£100 if possible. I've been looking at Ryobi One+ 18v combi on Screwfix site, but it is NiCad. My garage is remote from the house and without power, so it might not get used every day but when it is I want to finish the job.

I faced the same dilema as you about 18 months ago. I, of course, wanted the all singing & dancing Li ion drill for £300 but on reflection I plumped for the Ryobi One+ 18V NiCad combi drill for about £70 with two batteries and a charger. I haven't been dissapointed, in fact, the battery life is better than what I expected. I use it occasionally for work but mostly at home/in the garage.

I also bought a 240V Makita SDS drill from B&Q on special at £70 to replace my 30 year old Bosch. I can't recommend this drill highly enough for domestic work; I suppose the 110V one would be just as great for site work.

Nick