Keeps Losing Power And Cutting Out

Guest cooperman

Guest cooperman

Hi

I have just been for a spin after replacing the spark plugs - the engine had been running pretty rough but the new plugs seemed to do the trick

The old plugs were relatively new themselves but were black and sooty

After about ten minutes, I totally lost power and had to wait maybe 15 minutes before I could get the engine started again

I finally managed to limp home cutting ou several more times on the way but there is clearly something not right with the engine

Any ideas hints or tips would be greatly appreciated

The engine is a standard 2 litre pinto

Thanks in advance!

Guest mcramsay

sounds like a fueling issue, change the filters, and check the mesh filter on the carb, and also check the float level and that it is opering correctly,

Guest cooperman

Doesnt seem to use a great deal of oil although I haven't had the car that long

I have had the plugs out again and they look fine to me if a little sooty

A re run will have to wait till tomorrow but I wont be venturing too far from home this time!

The plugs were simply a replacement for those I removed and I sourced them from Halfrauds - once it started running again it seemed fine so I dont think I have cooked the plugs yet!

I am thinking Mcramsay is on the right track but I dont undertand what he is suggesting I do :blush:

Guest steveyb

Like Gaz, I would also check the choke operation, it could be sticking and giving too rich a mixture (hard to start after warm up) choke still on?

Edited by SteveyB

Guest cooperman
can u tell us what carb you have fitted to narrow it down,sounds like over fuelling maybe auto choke sticking on?..

Hi

Cant tell you what carb it is as I have no idea but hopefully these photos will identify it

Ian

Guest mower man

Certainly sounds like a fueling prob, what carb? ,is it auto choke ,is the air filter clean,is the sump over full ,plus any no of other probs I would start with air filter ,choke operation , and a basic set up before getting into deeper things HTH mower man :unknw: :search: :good: