Helmets

Guest james123

My caberg is acu gold and has passed all the same tests as the others, arai and shoei have never fitted my head and in my opinion are to expensive poss due to the massive sponsorship deals thay pay the likes of rossi Etc when i high sided at 80mph i was wearing a roof lid it was brand new and guess what i,m still here the lid was badly scratched but i was fine

At the end of the day we are talking kit car use not bike use the risk of head injury is far less you are much more likely to sustain a neck injury hense why F1 drivers and the like wear neck brace attached to there lids

All down to personal choice and style All that said i would have simpson (stig lid) next if i could afford it for look rather than function (car use)

Don,t do bikes now decided i wanted to see old age

Guest AdrianH

I have and I am still looking into the helmet thing myself. I use motor cycle helmets in the Kit car really for protection from flying stones and bugs, (No windscreen just aero).

I have spent quite a bit of time reading all the reviews done on different standards, different makes and i am as confused as ever, as one poster eluded depending on fad name they can be more expensive then another make all to the same standard.

Aintree have posted their details or there Track day on the 29th May and have stated the following:-

All participants must wear a correctly fitting crash helmet having a minimum standard of MSA type A/FR (which comprises only the following standards, one or more of which must be clearly marked on the helmet: FIA 8860-2004, BS6658 type A/FR, SFI 31.1A or 31.2A, SA2005 or superseding standard). Fireproof overalls are strongly recommended.

So for someone like me that may be interested in Track days and feels like trying one out There is an obvious impact in cost if it is a one off.

I also wonder if your average car driver, who fancies a go as a birthday treat will have such a helmet to hand?

Adrian

Guest paul c

I was led to belive a bike helmet and a car one were different ,My bell motor sport one is a different shape all together please correct me if iam wrong

paul c

main difference afaik between a car a bike helmet is the size of the aperture you look out of in a car one is much smaller, and the car ones have much more fire resistant visors (not really a problem for bikers as they can escape quicker). You don't want to end up like this guy

My caberg is acu gold and has passed all the same tests as the others, arai and shoei have never fitted my head and in my opinion are to expensive poss due to the massive sponsorship deals thay pay the likes of rossi Etc when i high sided at 80mph i was wearing a roof lid it was brand new and guess what i,m still here the lid was badly scratched but i was fine

At the end of the day we are talking kit car use not bike use the risk of head injury is far less you are much more likely to sustain a neck injury hense why F1 drivers and the like wear neck brace attached to there lids

All down to personal choice and style All that said i would have simpson (stig lid) next if i could afford it for look rather than function (car use)

Don,t do bikes now decided i wanted to see old age

Hi Dan

You are right that all helmets pass different tests such as DOT, ECE, ACU, Snell etc so conform to a minimum standard. It is also suggested that 90% of accidents are below the lowest standard which is DOT. However, the suggestion is that the Snell standard is too high and unrealistic demanding that 2 impacts on the same part of the helmet need to be absorbed. To do so means that they might be stiffer than necessary and therefore less effective at absorbency. This is why some people prefer not to use the US standard but the Euro ones instead.

It is down to personal preference and after using helmets all my life, I trust my mush in a Arai. Is it better than a HTC or a Schubert I don't know and perhaps it's all in my head but that's what it's all about and I prefer it to stay safe in there :)

I’m not going to bother entering the debate about which brand is best, that could go on forever! (and does on motorcycle forums…) The only track day I’ve done (Oulton Park) required a full face helmet rather than open face, to BSI 6658-85A or BSI 6658 –85A/FR, or MSA/ACU/FIM/FIA standards, but TBH nobody checked on the day. The first one is probably most widely available, the FR (fire retardant) ones are expensive (£300+ when I last looked) and the last ones are competition types so probably dearer again. The helmet I used is the one I use on my motorbike, and it does comply with one of the above standards. I do like an open face on the road though, it cuts down noise and head buffeting quite a bit. HTH, Brian

Guest TCR

i found that most bike helmets will not pass msa regs due to bike standards being a gold sticker but to pass msa you need to have a blue sticker , if you come off a bike you've only got your body weight but if crashing a car (eg a red hoodie at barkston a few years back) the weight is alot more