Iva Test Date Confirmed.. But Now Some Doubts.!

Guest loopyonion

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest loopyonion

Blimey Loopy, what a day !!!!

Hope you can get it all sorted out soon.

Good luck, I admire your perseverence.

Keith

Thanks Keith,

To be honest, while i was waiting the four hours for recovery, I recieved numerous comments on how well it looked from bemused passers by. My thoughts went from selling it on ebay, or breaking it, to.. lets fix it and make it better. No matter how much it keeps stiffing me, I will build it stronger and better.

Jeez, that was one heck of a day. I would buy a lottery ticket now if I was you, the karma has to balance out! When I went to Chadderton for retest, I went past numerous police cars who were sat watching the traffic go by, and had no trouble at all with them. I'd be inclined to write a snotty letter to their CC suggesting they go back to the classroom, and the inconvenience they have caused you. Distraction to other traffic- hilarious! Get stuck in lad, just a few little hurdles to jump over and the rest of the summer to play. Bri

I got stopped by the police on the way back from my IVA at Chadderton. Got directed to a car park where they had a few boy racers pulled over and a low loader ready to take someone's car away.

Had a similar conversation - no reg, no tax, no mot etc. Luckily I had my IVA booking confirmation and my insurance certificate with me. The copper (big guy with motor bike) looked very sceptical, but he phoned it in and came back after 5 minutes and said I was free to go. After that they loosened up and asked my a bit about the car etc.

Sounds like you had an eventful day - at least it's sure to be a smoother ride next time :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine has a RH7 with the inboard shocks, he has thashed mercilessly on track days for a good 6 years . The top pivot failed when he changed fron anti roll bar location to compression struts. Ive always thought that using studding wasn't a good idea as it is only mild steel and not high tensile plus the threads themselves ,rather than the rod, bear the weight.

In your case it looks like all loads have been imposed on the side structure and would suggest, to me, too high poundage on the springs and/or adjustable shocks wound up too much , you shouldn't need more than 4 clicks max on such a light car and alse too high tyre pressures impart more load to the front suspension .I have a simlar weight and size vehicle and the front tyres only take 22psi before starting to affect the way road shock is transmitted into the suspension.

Guest mower man

Hi commiserations I cannot say any more.

1 has this car ever been on the road or used in any way other than your trips to IVA ?

2 who built the front suspension ?

3why are major load bearing suspension pick up points only mounted onto unreinforced 3mm?

stainless sheet ?

Idon't want to sound clever,holier than thou, or even critical but if the top wishbones are only mounted as shown I'm surprised it got as far as it did!!!!!

I run an S/S s7 with inboard shocks and have done 30k with NO probs only topbushwear my top mounts are contained in an angle iron frame not hanging on the end of the mono panels Please take this post not as a get at you or your skills but as a freindly bit of advise because in my opinion that set up has some serious issues saftey wise I'am going to leave of at this point to look at your photo's again to make sure I.ve seen it correctly but would you please pm your name ,address etc to me mower man and Iwill snail mail you some pics of mset up hope fully clarrify my points regards mower man [ I'm very concerned about this dont go any further till that set up is seriously re engineered] :shok: :o :(

Guest loopyonion

Comments are noted fellas, and taken on board.

I didnt build the front suspension, i assumed ( in hindsight a mistake ) that thats what manufacturer designed, and that the IVA test didnt flag it as a problem, that it was ok.

Who was I to question a manufacturers chassis design ? :(

Anyhows, my new design uses 5mm thick 50mm steel angle to re-enforce the pick up points where the faliure occurred, and also the leading edge of the wishbones.

There are now improved wishbone pivots that now dont load the threaded parts of the shaft.

Front suspension coilover upper pivot points have also been moved further inboard the wishbone to create more of a 1:1 ratio for loading.

Pictures to follow. :)

Guest mower man

Comments are noted fellas, and taken on board.

I didnt build the front suspension, i assumed ( in hindsight a mistake ) that thats what manufacturer designed, and that the IVA test didnt flag it as a problem, that it was ok.

Who was I to question a manufacturers chassis design ? :(

Anyhows, my new design uses 5mm thick 50mm steel angle to re-enforce the pick up points where the faliure occurred, and also the leading edge of the wishbones.

There are now improved wishbone pivots that now dont load the threaded parts of the shaft.

Front suspension coilover upper pivot points have also been moved further inboard the wishbone to create more of a 1:1 ratio for loading.

Pictures to follow. :)

Hi further to last night's little essay , my car has a rectangular frame which carries the upper w/bones and the wish bones them selves are also braced.Do not use any thing other than hi tensile bolts for pivot pins!!and these should have enough shank so thar NO thread is in a load bearing area!!minimum rating 10.8 I used allen cap bolts ,spacer thebones to be central between pick ups and adjust caster by removing shimsfrom one end and refitting at the other,if you fit tie bars /compression struts leave the shims ALONE and adjust by shortening or lengthening them to give correct caster.Ifyou want details of the con get in touch, Front springs should be no stronger than 135lbs Irun 120's tyre press 18 to 22 MAX these have been arrived at over 6/7 years and 30k miles, would you likephoto's or other info ?get in touch regards mower man :good:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest loopyonion

Retest this morning in 25 mins, got here ok, got pulled again. This copper was most awesome, and just wanted to know what it was ;)

all bases covered, and all work done. And I'm 90£ lighter in the

pocket as well.

Fingers crossed.

Guest kleighton

Good luck Steve,

A police range rover passed me on the M60 without batting an eye, I couldn't believe I didn't get pulled.

My turn again tomorrow if I can fettle this exhaust.

Cheers

Keith