Engine Splutter At 2500 To 3000 Rpm

keith kelly

hi all,

i am running a 2L pinto with twin weber 45s. have had fun setting them up and have just about got them running.Went out last knight and the car runs fine at idle and initial accelleration but splutters at 2500 to 3000 ish rpm. i believe i know what it may be but would like some second opinions while i am at work.

any help would be of use. my initial thought is the timing.

thanks keith

Any misfire is much more likely to be carbs than ignition timing.

Especially with 45s, as Wooly says there is a jet changeover point at about that speed, depending on throttle position.

Post your jet sizes, esp. air corrector, & choke size & we can see if anything looks out of whack.

Bob

the carbs were my second thought.

the car was running fine ish last year (was not quite right but would acelerate quite well with no spluttering just a bit of carb spitting) and idle was not the best.

it is a std cam i believe (it has R26 made in usa on it)

jets are as follows

main jets are 145

air correctors are 155 (which is a bit odd but it was running on them last year) have got some 180's but cant get the old ones out

emultion tube is f16

idle jests are 55f8 (I have tried 50f9's but the 55's that were in it were better)

one thing i will add is that the engine would seem to be running rich (plugs black and drinks more than my rugby team)which with the 155 air corrector is what i would expect.

everything that was in the carbs would appear to be incorrect but she was running last year until i started tinkering.

Guest Stuartl

the carbs were my second thought.

the car was running fine ish last year (was not quite right but would acelerate quite well with no spluttering just a bit of carb spitting) and idle was not the best.

it is a std cam i believe (it has R26 made in usa on it)

jets are as follows

main jets are 145

air correctors are 155 (which is a bit odd but it was running on them last year) have got some 180's but cant get the old ones out

emultion tube is f16

idle jests are 55f8 (I have tried 50f9's but the 55's that were in it were better)

one thing i will add is that the engine would seem to be running rich (plugs black and drinks more than my rugby team)which with the 155 air corrector is what i would expect.

everything that was in the carbs would appear to be incorrect but she was running last year until i started tinkering.

It definately sounds like a jet problem, have you blasted them with compressed air?

It definately sounds like a jet problem, have you blasted them with compressed air?

Got some new emultion tubes and jets arriving today hopefully I can get her running reasonable to get to the Newark show. then rolling road time me thinks

OK got the car to stafford but could only get her running right without the air socks. dont want to run her without as she will get Sh*t into the engine. obviously the problem is that the air socks are resticting the air into the carbs but i am plum out of ideas as how i can change that. I know not many run with weber DCOE's but hopefully someone has had the same problem.

regards

keith