Leaking Sender Unit

Guest Phil in Cheshire

Guest Phil in Cheshire

Hi

Have changed the fuel tank sender unit and cant get it to seal, any body got any suggestions? :wacko:

Tank is a stainless robin hood one and sender is standard ford seirra, have tried rubber gasket and also tried Plastic Padding "leak seal" both with and without the gasket but it still leaks.

Any suggestion welcomed

Phil

PS Good job the battrys not in the boot next to it. :ph34r:

Guest bloke

as the vid suggests, ive cut a donut from a cork tile - washer like and intend to put alittle red gasket on before tightening up the lock nuts, what do you think? my prob is sealing the fuel in pipe to the tank, the rubber donut from the sierra tamk is loose on the rh tank...

I had a lot of trouble sealing mine firstly the 4 studs snapped off. But what the main issue was is the thin metal of the tank bends away under the sender and wont seal. I reinforced the hole with two rings of stainless one inside (fitted in two halves) and one on top the top fitted with a gasket. The two rings are held in place with 4 nuts and bolts where the studs broke off with the bolts protuding upwards so they can be used to secure the sender with a rubber gasket.

I hope this clear enough I could add a picture.

Jez

Guest Phil Slater

I cut a "washer" :huh: out of the old sierra tank filler pipe grommet/seal. Ii i remeber corectly i had to do a little paring so it had the right internal diameter for the sender unit. The lip of the grommet/seal ( the bit that would be outside the tank) was the right thickness and perfectly flat on both sides. I used some gold hermatite just to be on the safe side.

I should say - I won't have petrol in until this weekend but I reckon it's done the job. but as they say time will tell

Phil Slater

Mine has 2 self tapping screws (into a plastic tank) and is sealed with "chemical metal" - basically petrol proof putty available for less than a fiver from Halfords.

Ant