Pinto Db Rating?

Guest surffreak

Guest surffreak

Hey,

I have a track day at goodwood next week and the noise limit is around 98db. Just worries that my 2b may be over!

Its a standard 2ltr pinto with bike carbs, 4 into 1 manifold and a standard RH box.

Does anyone know what kinda db this setup maybe?

Cheers!

you will struggle to get under 98 with that setup! But it very much depends on the rest of your system too.

Also what are the conditions for the test?

Guest chris brown

I would think you will be in the 105 - 110 area and will be hard to get down to 98 with a RH can even after cutting a "post box" and repacking

What engine,state of tune, did the RH can ever achieve an SVA/IVA pass? Haven't got round to fitting a manifold & GBS supplied can yet (1800CVH converted to injection,no other mods)Would be useful info before fitting, thanks.

Guest surffreak

ahhh I'm in a sticky situation now then, worst nightmare turning up and being turned away because of a noise test!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to some quick remedies? Also would local garages have a db meter where I can go test?

Cheers!

yup

i had a RH exhaust on my 2b when it went for sva.. had to deploy tricky dickies super fix of 2 metal pan scourers and the widget that looked like a tripod to make sure they didn't blow out up the tail pipe.... managed to get it through.. just

Guest peter2b2002

I did the same as Chris27 but it all blew out when I floored the throttle , quick fix , fitted a bolt through the tail pipe, dropped down from 106 db to 98 but my 2ltr efi felt like a 1.6 till I took the bolt out again

peter2b

:blush:Yep,

You will have problems with the RH Can!!!

Mine was giving out 115db's at 4000 rev's which although sounded fantastic, was sending me deaf, and upsetting the neighbours (setting off car alarms at 6.00am :blush:

I have tested a few other hoods with my noise meter and every one has been between 101 and 112db's

Only just squeezed through SVA by using the restrictor (tripod widget)101 limit, I passed with 100.6.....

Had a new exhaust fitted my MK engineering and now at 89db's. Massive difference but still a great growl.

The only thing you could probably try in such a short space of time is to do the letter box slot in the bottom/ back of the RH can and re-pack it, you may just squeeze through???? :unknw:

Guest surffreak

Cheers for all the hints and tips guys!

Well the good news is that I managed to find a db meter......... The bad news is as you've all rightly said, its about 105db, its idling at 89db! and a quick test showed full throttle at 124db :shok:

So I am now on the hunt for a new can I think. I live down south near Chichester in west Sussex, anyone close??

I'm gonna make a trip to quick fit first thing tomorrow morning to see what cans they have on offer. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to go for?? I'd love to be able to get one of the MK engineering ones that people have quoted, but with the track day on Monday I have two working days to play with.

Time is defiantly of the essence!!

Cheers all!

Guest AWhite

Something else to think about is the noise at the carbs. Some carbs are noisier than others but the induction noise can be quite a lot and can take you over the lmiit hence why people fit those pipercross airboxes with the ram pipe.

Webers are noisier than bike carbs i think so you may be ok.

Andy