Taps

richyb66

After having had my wishbones blasted and powder coated, I had some issues with screwing in the top ball joint due to contamination of the threads with shot and plastic. Ideally the threads need an M18 tap running through them to clean them up.

Taps this big seem expensive so as I'm currently in Shanghai for work I thought I'd take a trip up the Beijing Road to see what was about. I nipped into a small shop and needed to do a quick drawing to be understood but the bloke had a rummage under the counter and produced the said item.

He drove a hard bargain and showed me the retail price in the catalogue first, but I've got form for haggling and I managed to knock him down from 46 RMB down to 42 RMB. Now I know it's probably not A1 quality so probably not suitable as a machine tap but for hand cleaning a tread it'll be ideal.

The price?

£4-20

Result!

Guest oddsocks

After having had my wishbones blasted and powder coated, I had some issues with screwing in the top ball joint due to contamination of the threads with shot and plastic. Ideally the threads need an M18 tap running through them to clean them up.

Taps this big seem expensive so as I'm currently in Shanghai for work I thought I'd take a trip up the Beijing Road to see what was about. I nipped into a small shop and needed to do a quick drawing to be understood but the bloke had a rummage under the counter and produced the said item.

He drove a hard bargain and showed me the retail price in the catalogue first, but I've got form for haggling and I managed to knock him down from 46 RMB down to 42 RMB. Now I know it's probably not A1 quality so probably not suitable as a machine tap but for hand cleaning a tread it'll be ideal.

The price?

£4-20

Result!

Good result! But i made my own-just bought a m18 bolt for £3 (so beat you there.lol) and cut angle groves into it. Job done!

Guest erichetherington

Yanto,

The way I was taught to DIY taps was to do has you have done, then heat it to cherry red and quench it in sugar to add carbon to it and harden the cutting edge.

Just thought it may be useful to someone.

Eric

Guest The Modfather

Yanto,

The way I was taught to DIY taps was to do has you have done, then heat it to cherry red and quench it in sugar to add carbon to it and harden the cutting edge.

Just thought it may be useful to someone.

Eric

Good tip! :clapping: