Machine Mart What A Pain In The X*-x

speedtripledan

:excl: Bought a new submersible pump from them 2 weeks ago £150 1st use today at work and there was water leak on the housing so i took it back, they said ok no problem we will send it back to our repair department...? I said politely i don't think so i use this at least once a day every day what am i going to use at work? with out this i cannot work ! do you expect me to buy a new one in the mean time ?

after phone calls to there head office by them and 30mins in the shop they changed it.

what a pain in the arse, there customer service leaves a little to be desired:nea:

last time they pulled that stunt i was without my drill for 7 weeks that was 10yrs ago nothing seems to have changed... :excl:

Guest Ian & Carole

Bought a new roller tool chest from the store in Lincoln a couple of months ago.

Both sales persons were on there mobiles chatting about the weekend and not really bothered that I was there.

Eventually I got "sorry mate that was my boss" !!, being called "mate" winds me up as well as people need to earn the right to call me "MATE" :spiteful:

I bought said chest as theres' is the only one that my tool box will sit on at a reasonable price, but boy was I hacked off with there attitude.

Obviously not confined to the Lincoln store.

Guest zoomzoom

I waited almost 25 minutes at the counter to pay for a small jack, was told it was problems with the till/computer but I think it was problems with the child working the till/computer.... anyway paid for the jack, walked out of the store, got 20 feet outside and was almost rugby tackled by the store security guard who claimed I was shoplifting????

And oh by the way it was the same guard who was standing by the problem till helping the child give me a vat receipt (I paid in cash)

As above, staff in our local store are polite and friendly and quite knowledgeable; but when one of their cheap angle griinders went on fire the first time I plugged it in I was taken aback by the policy that it had to go back to the factory for checking :D :D [hopefully not by the same guy that had assembled it!]

Needless to say it was replaced a few days later.

Mike

Guest Stuartl

As above, staff in our local store are polite and friendly and quite knowledgeable; but when one of their cheap angle griinders went on fire the first time I plugged it in I was taken aback by the policy that it had to go back to the factory for checking :D :D [hopefully not by the same guy that had assembled it!]

Needless to say it was replaced a few days later.

Mike

I hate this business of sending stuff away for a couple of reasons. Firstly you buy a product because you need to use it, not gust for an ornament so what are you supposed to use while this is away? Secondly, once they have the faulty item back you lose control of the situation as they can decide what the fault was/is and whether it was user mistreatment or notand of course how long they keep you waiting for an answer.

I have bought two mobile phones from Tesco now who have the 'send away for repair' policy. The first one died within warranty and I just bought another as I couldnt do without a phone and didnt have a spare unlocked phone at home to use. Now the second phone is again dying within warranty but they wont get any more of my money, I will get a cheap one off ebay and throw it away when it breaks.

Customer service seems dead and buried in most shops nowadays. If I ran my business like large retailers I wouldnt be able to feed my kids.

Under the sales of good act if something is "not fit for purpose" then you are ENTITLED to your money back or a replacement, none of this "send it away to be checked" cobblers. I beleive the timescale for this before they can send away for repair is "reasonable" which of course is open to interpretation but its considered "new" within a month of purchase for most types of items (perishable goods are dealt with differently for obvious reasons). If the goods are heavily used (filthy, worn, obviously well used)the seller can reasonably be expected to get it repaired. Remember your contract is with the shop, not the manufacturer, and they are obliged to handle your claim in a reasonable timeframe and NOT just pass the buck to the manufacturer.

Stand your ground if its "new" and demand a replacement or your money back!

Having said all that I have never had an issue with machine mart, kit is good and the staff OK, they can get busy at times but that is usually not the staffs fault!

Guest mower man

As a previous post I have used both Sheffield and Mansfield branches in the last few years and not any problems they always have what I want ,staff helpful and good prices regards mowerman :good:

Guest woolly

was going to buy a welder from machine mart but the guys in the shop didn't even bother to show me where they were when i asked, just vaguely pointed. There was another guy who had similar service so we both walked out.

good for you but they really need telling plenty of people out there want a job if they don't

Guest Stuartl

was going to buy a welder from machine mart but the guys in the shop didn't even bother to show me where they were when i asked, just vaguely pointed. There was another guy who had similar service so we both walked out.

Was that the Gloucester one?

Was that the Gloucester one?

yep. But it was a couple of years ago. If the price is good enough and i know what i want iam not normally so worried about customer service, but i was spending a reasonable amount of money and needed a bit of advice. Seeing as they couldn't even be bothered to walk over and show me where they were i was doubtful that any advice they gave me would be of use. Got talking a couple who were equally unimpressed so we just left.

Guest Stuartl

yep. But it was a couple of years ago. If the price is good enough and i know what i want iam not normally so worried about customer service, but i was spending a reasonable amount of money and needed a bit of advice. Seeing as they couldn't even be bothered to walk over and show me where they were i was doubtful that any advice they gave me would be of use. Got talking a couple who were equally unimpressed so we just left.

Mmm thats my local one and I dont rate it much either. Always more keen to flog me something I dont want instead of the things that I have on the counter to be paid for.

Toolstation is, on the other hand superb!

Guest peter2b2002

I had a problem with staff yesterday , went for a eye test ,got to the shop 5 mins late, girl behind the counter couldn't work out the computer to book me in , 2 other staff were chatting in the back 1 came out to help the 1st sort out my booking, 5 mins later the other one came, had a chat with the 1st one , then told me it was now too late for my eye test :wacko:

peter2b