Concorde, An Amazing Fact

Guest The Modfather

Guest jetskijase

good ole brits going backward in technology!! damn shame they grounded them, i was workin on my sister in laws sister for a cheap ticket at the time!! she worked for BA. gutted!!

During it's servicable life, the RAF did NOT have a fighter jet that could outrun Concorde!

These sorts of statement always puzzle me. Why would they need one? Even assuming it fell into unfriendly hands and they thought of some nasty use for it other than running it into something like the World Trade Centre and you get wind of it in time that you wanted to shoot one down to prevent it - it's not the chasing plane that does the damage and we most definitely had ordnance that could catch and kill Concorde.

Iain

Guest The Modfather

These sorts of statement always puzzle me. Why would they need one? Even assuming it fell into unfriendly hands and they thought of some nasty use for it other than running it into something like the World Trade Centre and you get wind of it in time that you wanted to shoot one down to prevent it - it's not the chasing plane that does the damage and we most definitely had ordnance that could catch and kill Concorde.

Iain

It was just to say that the public had access to a faster plane than the military have ever had.

The English Electric Lightning could outpace Concorde, and it was done by 'Lightning XR749', piloted by Mike Hale.

My Dad is really big into old RAF stuff and your post intrigued him when i mentioned your fact.

He mentioned something about a challenge between the RAF and BA that he remembered from yester-year, so i Googled it!

Good old Dad! 8)

Sorry Daz. :p =@ :vava:

Nick.

Clickety Clickety Click

Guest Vindi_andy

I'd heard that at mack 2 the plane was 3" longer than at stand still!

IIRC it was actually 11" and there was a gap between the cockpit bulkhead and the engineers panel where this was actually detectable. On the ground you could just about get your fingers into the gap. In flight you could get your fist in the gap. Told me by a member of concorde cabin crew.

IIRC it was actually 11" and there was a gap between the cockpit bulkhead and the engineers panel where this was actually detectable. On the ground you could just about get your fingers into the gap. In flight you could get your fist in the gap. Told me by a member of concorde cabin crew.

the BBC showed one in a museum where the captain of the last flight stuck his cap in the gap and now it's there forever more. watching that programme showed how much the crew loved the plane. apparently they lost 40 of their most frequent flyers on 9/11.