Ox Acetylene Advice Please!

Guest Andydouglass

Guest Andydouglass

Hi, I'm clearing out my Dad's effects and have come across an Oxy welding kit with bottles. Am I allowed to sell it? (Ebay won't take the lsiting) I understand the paraphenalia is reasonably valuable, but what about the bottles - they have fuel in them. I know very little about this equipment, but it scares the bejesus out of me. Any advice/suggstions gratefully received.

Cheers

Andy D

how big are the cylinders ?

i assume they are not the realy small ones?

if they are fairly large, then the cylinders are most likely rental, and not actually yours

if its one of the small disposable cyclinder sets, i might be inteested if the price is right

dave

Hi, I'm clearing out my Dad's effects and have come across an Oxy welding kit with bottles. Am I allowed to sell it? (Ebay won't take the lsiting) I understand the paraphenalia is reasonably valuable, but what about the bottles - they have fuel in them. I know very little about this equipment, but it scares the bejesus out of me. Any advice/suggstions gratefully received.

Cheers

Andy D

One other thing to take into account to with the cylinders is there pressure test date. If out of pressure test and something goes wrong i.e. the cylinders explode, could be all sorts of legal problems. Not to mention someone may get killed.

the problem you have got is that the cylinders will not be in test to get them filled you have to be registered with BOC there is certain criteria for there proper care & stowage. Yes a lot of back street garages still use them. the biggest fear is god forbid you had an accident & you experience a fire your neighbours will love you as everyone in a 200m radius will be evacuated from there homes for 48hrs so the cylinders can be cooled properly. I'm speaking from experience I'm in the fire service & dealt with a few.

Andy

everyone in a 200m radius will be evacuated from there homes for 48hrs so the cylinders can be cooled properly.

And that's assuming that they stay cool when they stop spraying the water on them after the 48 hours. If the acetylene is burning inside the bottle then the steps to take are large fast ones.

I'd love a set because it's really useful and easy to use but the storage of it and the number of times I'd atually use it simply makes it impractical.

The torches and whatnot can be sold on ebay with no probs and because of most of the stuff listed above they don't tend to fetch much money.

Iain

The cylinders if big ones about a meter and a half tall will be hired from BOC and you should give them a ring to see if your Dad had a contract with them and to arrange returning them. Thinking about it they also do stumpy fat ones about a meter tall. You will probably have to take them back yourself. The regulators, hoses, spark arrestors/valve thingies and torches/tips will probably have been your Dads and you can sell those.

Nigel

Guest Andydouglass

how big are the cylinders ?

i assume they are not the realy small ones?

if they are fairly large, then the cylinders are most likely rental, and not actually yours

if its one of the small disposable cyclinder sets, i might be inteested if the price is right

dave

Hi Dave, thanks for posting.

I don't think they are dispoable, as the Acetylene is about a meter and a hlf tall, the ox a little smaller. I think they've been around for abotu 10 years. I have know idea where he got them. I'm keen to sell them, but without endangering anyone or breaking the law. Just a bit stuck on how to start!

Cheers

Andy

Guest Andydouglass

Hi Nigel, Iain, Andy, Bob and Dave! (think I'vegot everyone!), and thanks for posting, great response, good advice. I Think I see the point of what you're saying - legal issues, danger to life etc. Your mention of pressure dates certainly got me thinking as I can't imagine he ever got that done! BOC might be the next stop!

Thanks again all for your help

Cheers

Andy D

Dodgy stuff that acetylene, it was re-catagorised as an explosive by the Buxton Institute a few years back, so you'll never be able to sell the cylinders on ebay etc. The two main suppliers used to be BOC as mentioned and Air Products, one had a valve guard collar on their cylinders, but I can't remember which was which.

I think if you call either they have a recipricle agreement to remove them.