Wiring Looms - Advice And Opinions Please

chris27

Hi All

Planning on doing a retro refit of the wiring to replace the rat’s nest of the original sierra wiring loom

I've got the standard sierra switches, a pinto engine and separate smiths’ clocks and toggle switches on the dash

Been having a look on the interweb and can see 2 companies

S.V.C - http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/prod_rapidfit.html

Comes with everything, including relays and dash wiring for clocks and ilumination etc ...costing just over £200...

Permier wiring http://www.premierwiring.co.uk/index.php?module=Website&action=Text&content=1133394009533-4156&parentContent=1133392767901-3830

From reading Colin ushers write-up, seems to be a very comprehensive loom, however it requires re-use or new relays(which i will be replacing anyway) plus a few extra bits to complete

I'd appreciate any feedback on fitting / setup of the above looms and recommendations.... cost isn’t the big issue, its quality I’m after...

Cheers

chris

Chris,

I've got some pdf files of the Premier loom instructions if you want them sent through. I would pm them but the files are too big to attach - I can e-mail them to you if you pm me.They're marked up to suit my type of lighting switches but are still easily readable. You don't get a wiring diagram but it's easy to follow without one and no real need to start referring to the Sierra diagrams. The only downside of no wiring diagram can be troubleshooting if you have any glitches - not a problem in my case but Steve did rip some hair out on his. That said, his problems were down to his switches, nothing to do with the loom itself.

The Premier loom is a very good product, only problems on mine were one wire was a different colour to what the sheets said but it was easily spotted and ammended on the instructions and the fog lamp wiring won't pass IVA because the fog lamp would operate on sidelights, not just Main/dip beam. This can be corrected fairly easily using a couple of diodes.

Rich.

Guest mastarforth

Chris

we used Robin hoods latest loom on michaels Zero and it was fine to use, granted there are some peopel that have complained about them as the diagram is crap but was not that hard to work out and would be easy to look at if used.

How much do you replace? I know it sounds daft, but the MEV electronics have beena walk in the park comapred to others, and the switch panel etc make wiring plug and play. If i build another (Hope lin not reading) I think I would try to adopt their panel into anything I built next.

Thanks

Andrew