Rover 2l Turbo Swap For Pinto- Please Help

Guest Benjamin

Guest Benjamin

Hello,

I am new to the site, and new to kit cars have only had my 2b a few weeks all I have lernt so far is that its lots of fun. Though have spent quite a bit of time playing with its 2l pinto engine (which is not in the best condition).

I have a 2l turbo Rover engine and would like to put that in and marry it to the ford gearbox which I think is an MT75 but could be a type 9-How can I tell?

Can I get a conversion plate for ford gearbox to Rover 2l turbo engine?

I know this engine type was part of a few of the super spec 2b kits so should be possible for me to fit in my 2b?- if anyone has one of these super specs would be interested to hear how engine is it it or if anyone has done the conversion.

Can anyone think of any other problems? All I can think needs changes is conversion plate for gearbox and engine mounts.

Would be greatful of any help whatsoever. Thank you for reading my first post a very needy one.

Ben

The rover engine (non turbo) in the super spec used a left hand drive V6 MT75 with modified bellhousing to take the rover starter motor, used an adaptor plate that was very wide and held engine mounts.

It would be well worth you looking at a few Super Spec Turbos to see how it all fits.

Welcome Ben,

Join the club, It will be an eye opener.

You can almost guarantee that you will get the cost back off your insurance premium. As a member your location can be shownin your profile. You never know, there may be an owner within a few miles of you.

4 magazines a year, area meets and the biggest gathering of same name kits at the major shows.

Its a great club..

Guest Benjamin

The rover engine (non turbo) in the super spec used a left hand drive V6 MT75 with modified bellhousing to take the rover starter motor, used an adaptor plate that was very wide and held engine mounts.

It would be well worth you looking at a few Super Spec Turbos to see how it all fits.

Thank you Paul, sounds like a lot of work. I will try to get a look at a super spec.

The Rover Turbo is a good engine with near 200bhp, if you have one available use it.

Get the parts together while using the Pinto then fit when you are happy.

Tuning the pinto is an expensive option but you can do it bit by bit, 130 fairly easily, a bit more work and expense 150bhp, loads of money 170+

the Zetec goes to 170 at less cost than the Pinto, both bolt straight up to the Type 9 gearbox or the MT75

The Duratec is the engine of the moment, 150bhp as standard ( well anything from 150 to 165) over 170 by the time the emission stuff comes off and allegedly a pair of cams and you get 200bhp without touching

Guest QuadraDave

Hi Benjamin im building a super spec with rover 2ltr in your welcome to come and have a look at the engine set up over xmas holidays i live near Skelmersdale in the northwest.the mt75 g/box is alloy the type 9 is steel you can contact me on 07718516898 if yours is a pinto engine your g/box is prob a type 9 iv read somewhere on this site you can get an adaptor plate rover to type 9 g/box

Why not use a LT77 gearbox with a LDV400 / SD1 2 litre / Sherpa 2.0 diesel bellhousing, flywheel and adaptor plate. Fits straight onto a T series apparently but on the T series turbo you do have to move the starter motor to the drivers side and cut a relief in the bellhousing.

The would at least aleviate the alignment issues that some have has with the Superspec MT75 setup.

There's some photos here of the gearbox etc, just ignore the fact that he's putting it in an MGB

http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/upgrades4mgs/Engines/fitting_t_series_turbo.htm