Spigot Bearing

gncgray

Afternoon all

Happy new year to everyone.

Lying in bed the other day and remembered that I haven`t fitted a spigot bearing. Now being really lazy now, does it need one or do I need to take the engine out and put one in?

Is this what I need?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-SIERRA-TYPE-9-5-sp-GEARBOX-SPIGOT-CRANK-BEARING-/310237513932?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item483b98c8cc

Thanks guys

Graham

Does it go near the splines on the input shaft from the gearbox that goes in to the clutch?

Yes, about 2" foward of the splines, in a counterbore in the end of the crank. As Woolly said, if you didn't remove the old one it should be there and as they can be a sod to remove, I think you'd remember if you'd taken the old one out.

Guest woolly

I`m using the new Zetec you get with the kit. It has already got the clutch fitted to the engine. Would it have the spigot bearing already fitted inside it?

if thats the case i thought all ok but ring gbs to ask.

I`m using the new Zetec you get with the kit. It has already got the clutch fitted to the engine. Would it have the spigot bearing already fitted inside it?
Silver and Blacktops don't come with a spigot bearing as they don't use it in any Ford installation. Odly ST170 engines do have one. Sorry. Engine out time I think.

Nigel

Guest Chutney

Not really naughty, it doesn't come with lots of bits fitted, but then thats the fun. Oh and don't pay 12 quid for one ether, you can get needle bearings of any dimensions for less than 3 quid from a bearing supplier.

Guest ethanicus

When you fit it make sure the oil seal faces outwards towards the gearbox and as chutney said use a brass hammer or a soft bit of wood as the edge is easy to bend. If you have done a few hard miles without the bearing I would check the input shaft for play and make sure it's straight. I would also make sure the clutch pressure plate is straight too. You should be fine as the t9 is quite solid. If you have major clutch judder then the damage has already been done.

When I built the engine and box the bench I left mine out. It was only when I was clearing up that night I found it on the tool chest. Luckily it's wasn't in the car by then.

Photo FYI

http://picasaweb.google.com/muddyquads/ZeroBuildPart1Engine#5350802169490560002

Cheers,

Jon