Changing/uprating Headlights

Guest ash

Guest chris brown
They are "fit for purpose" ... just not as fit for it as halogen units are.

:gdit: My complaint is not with the sealed beam units (the more senior of us were brought up with them and worse) my bitch is the shells that rust after a few months :boohoo:

after looking at the alternatives i've got halogen replacements off ebay (£20)

piece of piss to fit and 200% better :D

and i'm going to get the shells shotblasted and powder coated black at work (FREE!!) caterham stylee B)

i was recently told that chrome plating's not what it used to be, as they are a lot more stingy with the various coats now than they used to be. We had some chroming done for the hood, and within a year little flecks were appearing!

after looking at the alternatives i've got halogen replacements off ebay (£20)

eBay strikes again ... they're only 9.99 each at Europa :D

On the chrome front, mine don't seem to have rusted. No doubt they will eventually, but not in the 12 months it's been on the road so far. Hmmm.

Ant

thats £20 a pair!!!! off ebay :p

i also noticed how good the lolocost prices are for other bits in the latest 2004 RH booklet ,check it out before you start bidding!!!!

(check out p69 & p70) B)

Probably 2002 since that's when I bought mine.

Anyhow, it sounds like you got a good deal by the time vat and postage are applied. Europe is just round the corner from me so mine were post free :D

Ant

Guest Bob Rowell

seeing people working out the cost of their kits got me wondering, so I have totalled everthing I can remember, from the purchase of a second hand S7 (actually 5th hand) to the 'finished' car on the road (but not including road tax or insurance)

The grand total is £4800 ish. This appears to be around the figure arrived at by many others. Whether building from scratch or rebuilding as I did. I consider my car to be worth every penny spent, especially when people gather round to have a look whenever I leave it parked up.

The other side of ownership is making many new friends at the club meetings, not to mention all those that I have corresponded with by visiting this website, many of whom I look forward to meeting in the coming months. This side of the coin is priceless.

After giving up motorcycling (my passion for over 40 years) I honestly didn't think that I would find the same degree of helpfullness and camaraderie anywhere else. Owning the Hood has proved me wrong. Other bikers and ex bikers will know what I am talking about. Thanks everyone.

:D :D

The other side of ownership is making many new friends at the club meetings, not to mention all those that I have corresponded with by visiting this website, many of whom I look forward to meeting in the coming months. This side of the coin is priceless.

After giving up motorcycling (my passion for over 40 years) I honestly didn't think that I would find the same degree of helpfullness and camaraderie anywhere else. Owning the Hood has proved me wrong. Other bikers and ex bikers will know what I am talking about.

I can only echo that Bob. :) :) :)

I echo that as well Bob. In fact that was one of the reasons I bought a hood in the first place. (Apart from the fact I like the stainless).

I have yet to get "involved" having only just purchased my old S7 and am spending some time getting it how I want it. But this forum is a godsend.

I have been involved in other clubs previously, but none seem to as open as this one. Look forward to meeting you in the future.

PS - Back on thread. I have rusty H/L bowls as well :(

The tip with the headlights (& other parts) is, before Winter, give them a liberal coating of WD40, I spray the whole engine apart from the 'V' belt, and leave it on there until spring arrives. Go into the garage early in the morning and see just how much condensation is on the car.