Calling All Qualified Plumbers

Knock-on

Your probably right about "plugging" gas pipe in. I do remember something about it being law now that any gas work requires a certified chappie to do it (is gas safe what Corgi used to be), but the rest of of it can be diy and then certified. Will all these laws stop people killing themselves? I don't think so. Most of its through lack of maintenance later on.

Guest The Modfather

I fitted a new boiler some years ago (before Gas Safe) and plumbed everything in except the final gas fitting to the actual boiler, then had a corgi chap pop in, make the final connection, and do a test, was all ok.

On a similar note, my missus runs her business from our home. She has a dedicated beauty room. She received some leaflet from her business insurer that all of her electrical appliances in that room are safety checked, but get this, by a competent person!

Now I class myself as more than competent, having rewired two houses myself over the years, but you'd have thought that it would rely on something a little more professional!!!!

When my dad has his new boiler and rads fitted, the fitters left for the day and turned the gas on to see them over the night, but had failed to blank off a 28mm pipe, thus filling the crawl space full of gas, now that is what I call a professional.............idiot!

I would go with a family member or a friend/recommended fitter, don't just have a name from the yellow pages unless this is the last option, but I agree with Knock-On's reasoning if he doesn't feel happy.

Guest Chutney

Absolutly right. Doesn't matter how competent or not you may be, if you don't feel happy doing it, then don't.

Moreover, if er indoors ant appy, then that's the final word really.

Its not just the gas what about the flue this must be 300mm from a opening window light if my memory serves. At the end of the day leave the gas and boiler stuff to them that know and can be arsed with the cost of being gas safe. Gas engineers cost but a life costs more. By the way I am not a gas fitter

Ha ha love it! "I am not a gas fitter"

Flues should be 1000mm from any obstruction/ opening.

No offence intended!!!!

no offence taken just goes to show its not just a case of the gas fitting side there are other things to consider.

Guest Chutney

All true. I guess the other thing to consider is whilst you could quite easily install a boiler as per the manual(I did) it is quite another thing to make the system efficient. There are other things like bypass valves and bleed points to consider.

In that vein you are probably right.