Zero Coolant Header Tank

Guest steve8274

Guest steve8274

hi all

would just like to know where people have put their header/filler tanks for the radiator in a zero.

i have plenty of space in nose cone area but not sure if this is a suitable location.

i am sure i heard/read that it needs to be higher than engine. is this the case or have i made it up?

thanks

steve

Guest steve8274

thanks

my only problem with mounting on scuttle is the lack of space plus the few header tanks i have acquired tend to have the bottom hose coming out vertically meaning i have to put a severe bend straight away so it doesnt hit anything. doesnt look nice and not sure if affects flow.

have people got pics so i can see how they fitted theres

thanks

steve

Guest dinger

Or even, fit a retro ford water rail and you wont need one,,,,

Any kind of water rail will make the whole layout alot neater and if you use a double core cortina radiator then you wont need a header tank,

I would advise mounting the nose cone on a hinge at the bottom so you can easily get to the filler cap,

there are two types of cooling system, one with a pressurised header tank, the other, non pressurised normally called an expansion tank.

standard Zero uses an expansion tank, which can be fitted anywhere convenient.

The system is kept under pressure by the rad cap, any excess expansion leaks past the cap into the tank, and is sucked back when the system cools.

If you check with GBS, you will find they fit a small tank along side the left engine mounting, way below the filler/pressure caps.

I agree with KT above. Pressurised systems seem to require a high tank and various restrictions to get them to work. Simple expansion allows you to put the tank anywhere, even in the nose and they work just fine. That's where mines been for a pinto, 3 zetecs and a ST170 engine. Problem free. Self bleeds. System always full. Virtualy zero mental effort required which suits me fine. Much cheapness, also a bonus!

Nigel

Guest Chutney

Ahh but I dont have an ugly plastic ball. I have a sexy stainless steel tank. Looks over functionality all the way me.

I'll be the one with the trail of coolant and steam/chunks of engine.

Guest gixerboy600

there are two types of cooling system, one with a pressurised header tank, the other, non pressurised normally called an expansion tank.

The system is kept under pressure by the rad cap, any excess expansion leaks past the cap into the tank, and is sucked back when the system cools.

If you check with GBS, you will find they fit a small tank along side the left engine mounting, way below the filler/pressure caps.

That's how mine is plumbed and took no time at all plus looks great with the Raceline!!

Cheers

John

Guest steve8274

thanks

thats just the answer i was hoping for.

i have the radiator supplied by GBS so guess i need expansion tank rather than header tank. its only a cvh engine at moment which came from my donor so a water rail seemed a little expensive for me.

thanks for all the replies and help

steve

Correct. If it's an expansion tank, it isn't fitted high and he rad cap needs to be able to vent.

It's only if it's a Header it needs to be above the engine water level.