Pre Iva Photos

megadodo

I keep reading the documentation differently every time I go through it so I'll make another spacer for the reversing light as well, it will give something to do until I get the test date anyway.

....I think if they go through the holes then the belts have too much of an angle change when they are under load?

This was my interpretation too, and I've had two cars passed with the belts routed round the seats rather than through. (albeit SVA not IVA)

Has anybody had issues with the bonnet vents?

My understanding is that if they're functional for removing heat then they're exempt from the sharp edge test. I've recently put a Model A Ford replica through IVA, whose bonnet is basically one huge cheese-grater vent, and that passed no problem.

Guest sandy77uk

This was my interpretation too, and I've had two cars passed with the belts routed round the seats rather than through. (albeit SVA not IVA)

My understanding is that if they're functional for removing heat then they're exempt from the sharp edge test. I've recently put a Model A Ford replica through IVA, whose bonnet is basically one huge cheese-grater vent, and that passed no problem.

it was GBS who advised me about the seat belts and having to pass them through and not around the seat

I have chatted to the guy who is actually going to do my car next week. He said the following:

bonnet slats are no problem as they all face backwards, only the fog light needs to exactly vertical to the ground, make sure the front indicators are wide enough and not too low.So far so good!

The belts may be a problem and it looks like the outside belt will have to go through the seat and and the inside around the seat unless GBS can provide 1 ton crush documents to show the seat is strong enough.

I will sit in it tonight and see where the belt rest in relation to my shoulders. If it doesn't look good then I'll call GBS tomorrow.

I was concerned about the positioning of the upper seat belt anchorages on my 2B as I thought that the belts would interfere with the seats. I decided to go for the nuclear option and cut the old anchorages off the back of the cross tube and replaced them with new tubes fitted through the middle of the cross tube and welded top and bottom.

The new tubes align with the slots in my seats (so now closer together on each seat) and with the harnesses fitted, they pass through the seat slots and over the shoulders without touching the seat. The old tubes were a bit of a 'mare to cut off neatly but I got there in the end and I'm hoping that this is one area that won't be a fail at IVA.

The 1 tonne load figure for the seats seems a bit arbitrary as I can't see any mention of this in the IVA manual but to be honest, having seen the frame inside the GBS seats, I'd be worried about bending something if I farted so I don't think they'd stand up well to any seat belt loading.

Guest robert elms

My belts went through the holes in the seat as normal and the tester didn't say good or bad , he just pulled on them and ticked it off, re the vents it depends on the tester to be honest, mine failed me on the radius of the gear surround, all I would do is cut small strips of edge trim and put it on the sharp vent blades nothing has to look pretty it ( in there eyes) has to be safe, in my eyes most of there rules are ridiculous.