Front Suspension

Guest weavey

Guest weavey

Hi. As stated in my first post on here,just purchased a Robin hood series 3 exmo. The first thing i am wanting to do is change the front suspension set up. I intend to convert it to a wishbone set up.I know its not going to be straight forward,but does anyone make such a kit for them.Please dont shoot the idea down in flames straight away.Cheers Steve.

Guest T6 KFR

I'm quite new to the forum and owning a RH, there is a conversion kit that kit spares supply.

I think the work is pretty straight forward, is get a garage to set up the geometry at the same time.

Hope that is a bit of a help?

there is no kit for an exmo, but i believe our web-god here Mat Moo was at some point in the process of making a front wishbone setup using a box section subframe.

That would be the way to do it, use the Haynes roadster dimensions as a start point,.

The Haynes roadster suspension jigs would also be usefull.

Be aware that the wishbone mounts on the chassis and the steering rack inner ball joint should all be on the same line, top mount further out than the bottom or you will get bump steer

Guest snotfart

exactly how cr4p is the exmo front end? i thought they had a mcpherson type arrangement which i would have thought would be ok.

dave

Guest weavey

exactly how cr4p is the exmo front end? i thought they had a mcpherson type arrangement which i would have thought would be ok.

dave

It might be ok.But it just does not look right to me.(ugly). And before you say why did you buy an Exmo then. It was cheap,and all the right bits on it,on the road.I coulnt be doing with all that SVA/IVA stuff again.Went through all that with my cobra.I am realy in the dark with one of these cars.So all the help i can get i would really appreciate.Cheers Steve.

The Exmo is made of folded welded rather brittle sheet stainless steel to produce a monocoque. There is no space-frame or substantial chassis members and no subframes. To mount double wishbone front suspension you will have to design a subframe to mount it on and join and spread the loads into the monocoque. As far as I know nobody has yet done this successfully so you are probably on your own. Take your time. Think about the loadings. Think about the unknown quantity that is a 15 year old brittle stainless monocoque. You do know these chassis have stress cracking problems? Have a look at the later monocoques, 3A and New3 to see how the chassis developed to change to double wishbones. Think about driving the car for a while to see what it's like. Perhaps even think about selling it and getting something closer to what you want.

You say 'I am realy in the dark with one of these cars. So all the help i can get i would really appreciate'.

Well you pretty much are as are we all. If you are breaking new ground there are no experienced people to follow and I would take advice from experts who haven't done what you want to do with a pinch of salt. Rather you than me. Yes it is a fairly negative post. Sorry.

Nigel

I would think you could retain the Sierra bottom track control arm, change the anti roll bar to tie bars then address the mounting of a top wishbone using a steel fram as longboarder says