Nearly On The Road

Guest Ken Brough

Guest Ken Brough

What an experience, couldnt sleep last night as there was not enough time to complete everything.

The examiner seemed a good bloke, he gave me loads of advice and explained all the fail items.

Mainly clips and radius.

Supplied fog light requires blunting on the main assembly not the lense.

The large nut securing the top ball joint requires covering as he can get to that one.

Couple of points for people to note.

The bracket supplied for holding the upper steering column did not satisfy.

The stainless edge where the rear arch meets the fibregalass requires some thin u trim.

The hub casting around the trackrod end requires radius.

Rear wheels protruding out of the wheel arch 205 50 15 RH 5 Spokes. The fibre glass portion is right out so i wil try to lower the ride height to see if that will work or borrow a couple of sierra wheels.

He mentioned that the seatbelts would fail if they were bolted to the 2 " angle between the rear end mounts

2 points that people shuold note from the video

Design weights and max speed need to be correct and require a letter from the manufacturer to confirm. Spoke th RH today and they where fine about sending one out.

Overall i am quite happy at the result as there where no major problems and the examiner was full of praises at the rest of the build.

Guest John Hammond

It's not the first time a car has been failed on this. The solution I used was to fabricate a new bracket out of something thicker than the stainless provided - I used some 2mm aluminium sheet I happened to have. Use the RHE bracket as a template. It takes a bit of time but it's worth the effort!

Mine is simply a piece of 3mm aluminium with a 90 degree fold in the middle. One side has two U bolts around the chassis tube, and the other side has a U shape cut into it with two bolt holes for the column mount.

Ant

Guest Ken Brough

Sorry about the delay in answering as i have been at it until late.

As for the steering bracket i think i will go for the bent 2 or 3 mm plate fixed to the chassis with u bolts or maybe the same pattern as RH in 2 mm ally as i have got some in the garage.

Guest kevin

This is the first time I have heard about the steering bracket being no good for SVA :angry: . What else is no good? I hate having to re-do jobs.

RHSC should supply parts that are suitable for SVA.

Kevin Howard :angry:

Kevin

The SVA is a lottery,its all down to the tester at the time....what sort of

mood he's in etc.....

As an example my fuel cap was failed because of lack of 2.5 mm radius,

this was done at Gillingham by Gary "the tester".

At Detling I met an RH 3A owner who has same car as mine,he passed

SVA at Gillingham by Gary "the tester" with an identical fuel cap as mine????????

I personally think that SVA is a numbers game,they are only going to pass

a certain number of cars per week,regardless,to ensure they get the 30 quid retest fee.

The only piece of advice I can give is not to worry about the test,get everything

prepared the best you can,and then if it fails you've got a tick sheet to work to.

IMHO

Cheers Ian

Go to Gillingham......

They get more than their failure quota from all the factory built Caterhams.

On my last visit, they had 3 Caterhams. One passed on its second attempt, one passed on its third, and the bike engined version failed its third test while we were there....We smiled!!!!

Perhaps the retest fees account for their high price?

That must leave the door wide open for RH passes...?

Bob.