Dvla Problem

Guest peter2b2002

Guest peter2b2002

just tried to get some road tax for my new car that I'm going to pick up on friday eve (70 miles away), got insured in my name, it has an MOT but I can't got any road tax cos the V5 is still in the sellers name , why that makes any differance I dont know, jobsworth on the phone just said go to the post office with the green slip :spiteful: so I asked the seller to try and tax it, he just got back saying they cant find any insurance on thier data base, strange as I got the policy this morning , gave him the policy number to try again , just waiting for him to call me back

peter2b

Guest emmab

When i insured my hood they said it could take up to two week for it to get on the MID, just take the green slip and insurance cover note and they will be able to tax it for you.

If you take a completed V10 form (vehicle tax), a V62 (V5 application) and an insurance certificate with the correct vehicle registration number on it to a Post Office that does car tax, they should give you the tax disc there and then and the new V5 will be sent out to you later. Don't worry about the seller sending their paperwork in as well, the DVLA will just process whichever paperwork they recieve first. I did exactly this in April when I had no V5 on my new daily and I hadn't been sent a reminder for the tax. Dead easy apart from having to queue behind 30 pensioners at the Post Office (bless 'em).

Don't bother phoning the DVLA, even if you do get through, they are a waste of time.

V62 download here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_067819.pdf

V10 download here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_065263.pdf

Just print off and fill in with BLACK biro.

• Like 1

Guest peter2b2002

tax came yesterday, chap drove the Mondeo up to my place then I took him home in it(39 miles each way) no problems car went fine, nice change to see the fuel guage had hardly moved after a 70 mile run, stopped in Whitchurch for a take away as it was 22.30, got back into the car - no go, lights came on but no starter motor, checked under the bonnet just incase the engine has gone missing - no still there, checked the fuses in the front fuse box ( funny place to put a fuse box just behind the n/s head light) must be getting old, all the fuses are those dinky little ones or small square ones. any way all seemed ok so called the AA relay , back to the take away for a fork for my take away (messy eating rice and sweet & sour with your fingers), the AA man he came within 20 mins checked all the fuse again, then after some head scratching pulled out the glove box lo and behold there was another fuse board behind it which he pulled out looked at it then put it back in, bingo everything came back on , dirty /coroded connections he saoid , only trouble is the radio now needs a code which I haven't got,

I can see why folk fit a zetec in thier hoods , goes like stink in the doner, I think I will leave it there for a year or so as the car has 4 brand new tyres and 12 months MOT and only 52k on the clock

peter2b