Trackday

ZeroKnowledge

I am doin a trackday in the Zero this friday at Teeside Autodrome (still places if anyone fancies it)

never done anything on track before. format is 8x 30mins on track 30mins off, so approx 4 hours track time

I have changed oil,

checked water, brakes etc and I have another set of wheels for the drive home.

what else can I do to get the best from the day?

Cheers Paul

Guest Peter Kelly

Have a great day Paul, I hope the weather is good for you.

How much fuel do you think you will burn in 4hours?

Let us know how you get on.

Peter

post-4512-0-15142200-1310543167_thumb.jpg

Increase tyre pressure by about 3 or 4 psi...

in my 2B I run 18 psi on the road and 22 on track with TOYO 888s.

Start out carefully, let the tyres warm up over 2 or 3 laps before opening it up.

Pick one corner each lap to concentrate on, start out wide, pick a point on the centre of the apex & try to clip it every lap, then drift out wide again, ready for the next corner.

I dont know the Autodrome, but thats the basics..

Keep an eye on oil temp which will rise, & pressure which will fall. If either gets silly come in...keep an eye on oil pressure while cornering, some sumps dont handle high sideways G very well.

Have fun!!

Hi Paul

What time does it start / finish because I will try to get down for a couple of hours to lend moral support.

steve

its from 9am - 5pm

thanks guys for all the tips & info, Iam really looking forward to it.

as for fuel I get around 15 mpg with spirited road driving, but Ive been told fuel is available about a mile from the track

Cheers Paul

I've done quite a few laps around half the circuit as it's used for karting, they have created an extension to the track which is opened for track days. I've driven the full circuit in a Ferrari 360 and found it very exciting. Whatever you do don't go off into the gravel at the end of the back straight as it took the marshals ages to get Bob Rothery's 2B back onto the circuit. Fortunalely the 2B was undamaged. Please take a good look at the circuit on Google Earth. The circuit is driven clockwise, and the chicane is usually employed on the pit straight. I've had a look on their website and it's showing 3 2B's and your Zero + Porsche Boxter and a Nissan Micra so quite a mix. Have a great day.

Guest marsbar

Hi Paul, I have driven 10 laps in Porsche and Ferrari, but what you need to do is look on you tube for north east sevens round Langbaugh or Teeside, there are lots on, an you can learn most of the circuit.

It will be better than tuning up cold and no knowing anything about it.

Good Luck

Steve

Best tip I ever got was from John Watson (70s F1 driver) watch the replays of the 70s Grand Prix currently being shown on ESPN..

I worked for CITIBANK who sponsored his Penske, & 2 of us "got hold" of passes to watch F1 practice midweek at Brands...we went straight from work at lunchtime, in suits, & I reckon he thought we were VIPs cos he spent about an hour showing us round his pits & the car...he was/still is a real gentleman.

Anyway, I asked for some advice on track driving & he said the one best thing he had found was to take any corner one gear higher than you thought it needed. The car settles better, the torque is reduced so less chance of spinning a wheel on exit & the drivers perception is that the car is going slower, so he will speed up & use the extra grip available.

It works...give it a try but ONLY after you are comfortable with the car & circuit.

Bob