Emerald To Zetec

Guest Chutney

Guest Chutney

Had a few searches and can't find what I'm after- really just trying to avoid unwanted headaches before they start.

I have a blacktop "crate" engine in my 2b, with the factory inlet/injectors etc. I also have a wonderful emerald ecu fresh out the box from Gbs. ( took less than 20 hours from payment to arrival- how's that for customer care).

My questions are:

Has any one done this?- any tips

I obviously need to splice the existing engine 'loom' into the emerald- anyone got anywhere to start?

I know I can use the crank sensor, throttle position sensor and obviously the coilpack, but there is 2 other plugs/sensors on the engine- one at the front one at the back. What are these?

Any help would be good. On first looks I'm really excited about the ecu especially the fan control and fuel pump control. I'll need to get relays for these too, but that will be later.

Thanks for listening, I await the flood of help!!!!



Guest dctough

I'm doing a similar thing with my zetec. I went down to my local scrappy and removed the loom from the engine bay of an old focus so I could get all the mating connectors i need. I'm in the process of stripping it down so I've only got the bits i require.

The other sensors i think you are refering to are:

water temperature sensor (inlet side of head, cam belt end)

cam position sensor (inlet side head, flywheel end)

David

Guest Chutney

That's excellent David, just what I was after I can splice these into the emerald now( if I need them) there is also a sensor on the bottom of the plastic inlet manifold. Do you know what this is? I'm guessing an air pressure sensor?

My next task is like you to find plugs for the crank sensor and the coil pack.

I'm pleased you are doing the same thing, I'm sure we will help eachother out. Are you using the premier loom too?

Guest Sharky

Hi Chutney,

I believe that the one on the plastic inlet manifold is the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) which is the Ford 'cheat' bit to maintain a smooth and steady throttle idle speed. If you are putting on TB's then you will ditch the horrible plastic monstrosity so you don't need to worry about the IACV really.

I have fitted Jenvey TB's to mine and I also made up my own loom from scratch so that I could get it all neat and tidy. The Emerald kit comes with a good booklet with wiring instructions and I found that it was/is a great help as long as you read it a few times first and then work slowly through it.

The connectors you need are called 'Junior Power Timer' connectors and companies like Vehicle Wiring Products and Pole Volt sell them for a few quid a piece. VWP also do some really neat black nylon mesh sleeving which with a bit of forethought and some black heat-shrink to finish the multi-pin connections, you can achieve a really professional looking loom.

Two-pin JPT temp sensors are not really 'handed' so it doesn't matter about +ve and -ve connection, but the crank and cam sensors ARE handed so you need to make sure you get those right - can't remember off top of my head what the convention is but Longboarder normally keeps us all squared away on that kind of leck-trickery stuff.

Hope that helps?

Regards

Sharky

Guest Chutney

That's magic. I've been trawling tinterweb and I concluded it was the idle control valve- you've just confirmed that- many thanks.

I'm trying to stick with the plastic crap for a bit till I can afford jenveys or the like so I guess the icv can sit there redundant for abit. I'm hoping the emerald can pick up on the ford coolant/cam sensors. I'm fairly sure it will pick up the crank sensor and I got an air temp sensor with the emerald that goes in the manifold somewhere.

In regards to fuel pumps, I was going to wire the low pressure one in as usual, would you recommend wiring the hi pressure one in parallel or allowing the ecu to deal with it via a relay. If so what relay am I after?

Sorry for all the questions, unfortunately my research is hindered by a world wide web full of rubbish.

Many thanks so far guys.

Guest dctough

I'm planning to power both LP and HP fuel pumps off the same relay controlled by the ECU (pin 20). I think the ecu cuts the power to the fuel relay if the engine stalls. Reassuring if you were even to have a crash (heaven forbid).

David

Guest Chutney

Now that is a consideration.

Anyway, I am off to maplins today to buy various lengths of various coloured cable. I shall run a fresh earth and live to the ecu, can't hurt can it.

Guest Sharky

This is an interesting area as you can incorporate some very simple ant-theft security into this area as well by using the odd one or two hidden switches etc.

The Emerald on my Zetec controls a relay which is good from the crash safety angle but I have an inhibit switch on the relay switched feed line hidden away for some added anti-theft when it's in the garage. On another angle, I have also left the HP pump on a separate switch on the dash as well - just in case I only ever need to bleed or flush the LP system. My HP pump is in my engine bay, so in the interests of pump longevity, I need to make sure that when it has been stood for a while that I run the LP lifter pump to get a head of fuel in the swirl pot and then the HP pump only runs for a very short time sans fuel.

HTH

Sharky

Guest sandy77uk

I'm planning to power both LP and HP fuel pumps off the same relay controlled by the ECU (pin 20). I think the ecu cuts the power to the fuel relay if the engine stalls. Reassuring if you were even to have a crash (heaven forbid).

David

thats what I've done, both pumps powered by the same relay controlled by the ecu

Guest Chutney

I like the idea of having the lp pump on the ignition then the hp pump controlled by the ecu via a relay with a switch for the reasons sharky put above.

Don't ya just love making ya build unnecessarily complicated? Probably why I'm into the 12th month of a "simple zetec conversion"

Ever get the feeling you prefer garage time over driving time?

Still after those plugs if anyone has?

Pins for the crank sender and cam sender as in pic of junior timer plug. Should both use shielded 2 core cable (maplins) with the shielding only earthed at the ecu end.

If you find a black doughnut on a wire on your zetec like the second pic it is a knock sensor.

Nigel

post-21-0-02668700-1311636004_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-87764600-1311636021_thumb.jpg