Emulsion On Dip Stick

agent_zed

Hi ,

just bought a bmw 316ti 03 plate 75k within the last month. Just checked the oil level before a long trip tomorrow and there was a little emulsion on the dipstick. cleaned it off and dipped again and a bit more back on there.

The filler looks clean and the water level is still high.

I think it was sat for a while at the garage before i bought it, but i have done about 400+ miles so far.

I've got a 3 month gaurantee (assuming he'll honour it).

What do i do? do i ask him to check it somehow? oil flush? compression test? what are my rights if it did turn out to be head gasket.

I'll be annoyed if it is head gasket as it took a long time to find a car i liked.

thanks

Guest mower man

Possibly because its been stood a while ,started stopped , short runs I would ask the guy to drain, flush change filter and refill with quality oil and run it keeping a good eye on it,importantly tell the man asap HTH mower man :good:

Id say its just from short runs dude. dont worry too much yet .

the e46s are well known to create condensation on short runs.

If you worried give it an oil change see how it goes.

Ive currently got a e46 330 and have had bmws and been on forums for 8 years

cool thanks, thats a little more reassuring. I'll have a chat with him and see what he says. The oil needs changing in 700 miles anyway according to the dash so i was going to do that soon anyway. I'll show him first though.

Doing 40miles a day at the moment. It'll be intersting to see what happens on a long run as i'm doing 500miles in the next 2 days.

other than that i'm pretty pleased with it, getting 40mpg going to work and thats through the forest of dean B roads (obviously not pushing it or that would be a lot lower). seems to be a nice little car, never had anything so fancy. bit of a change from the mk1 punto with windy windows and no central locking.

thanks guys, i'll see how i get on.