Wifi Signal ?

Guest gazza1591

Guest gazza1591

Hello All

Well the garage is coming on well all electrics in and painted out. but i was hoping to use the spare laptop in there to save

having to come back to the house if i want to look at anything while doing the build.

my garage is at the end of the garden about 40ft from the router in the house.

if i stand out side the garage i can pick up the wifi but if i go inside i cant

so i was wondering if there was any way of getting a better signal in the garage can i buy anything

to bost the signal ? im not to good on computers so not sure what to do ?

thanks for any help :D

For the sake of 40ft, hard wire a network cat5 cable to the garage, im sure someone round where you live does some form of network work and will have all the bits to do it, cable, 1x plug, 1 x socket and a crimp tool, just run it along side your electric cable, in fact get cat6, as it is shielded.

Guest gazza1591

was thinking of that but currently the garage is wired off the workshop in the garden and all these cables are berried under ground.

and was hoping not to have any more sockets/cables in the garage.

thanks

Where's your router in the house ? Can you move it upstairs ? Playing around with where it is might just give that bit extra signal strength to work in the garage. It might cost you an hour or two but that's all.

Mine's upstairs in a back bedroom and works a treat, but when it was downstairs I couldn't get a decent signal upstairs !

Hope this helps, Steve

Depends on the router. Either access router by supplied software, or puttting the routers ip address in your browser. You'll probably need a password, but then access WiFi settings. If you're connecting wirelessly, you'll loose connection when you change the channel, but just refresh and wait to get WiFi signal.

HTH

Nick

If you have a wireless 'N' router but not a wireless 'N' laptop you could try a wireless 'N' dongle as i think they have better range.

The other thing i did was piggie back a router off the adsl/router. That way i could put the one router nearer the window and get better range.

hth

Guest marsbar

Hi Gaz, there is a good alternative that uses your electricity supply,

here is a link to an example, its the first one I came too soo you could search for similar and see if you can get one cheaper, I think £30 to £40 is possible.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/av-200-starter-kit-networking-over-the-mains-98007

It would solve your problem, it has to be on the same ring main though.

Could Luck

Steve

Guest gazza1591

ok well i played with the channel and no joy

also tried moving the router up stairs to the back bedroom which is closest to the garage and still no joy.

can get it out side garage but as soon as i go in no luck :-(

thanks for the link but the router is not on the same ring main as the garage i be-leave :-(

any other suggestions ?