Headlights & Fuel Pump

Guest Hammy360

Guest Hammy360

Hi,

Ive started testing my loom install and electrics are my big weakness. Heres my first problem.... I switch the headlights on and they work!! Good start but the flash on the high beam works but not when you go to put high beam on continuosly, also only one headlamp is working on the high beam flash. I have tried with ignition off and on and no difference.... any ideas?? Im leaning toward the switch!..

Also Ive noted that the fuel pump kicks straight in with ignition and runs and runs which I know is not good fro a dry pump so Im going to disconnect it til fuel is in the tank. Does the pump stop running once there is enough fuel in the system or does it simply keep turning and return fuel to the tank? Its a high pressure pump for gbs going onto a fuel injected zetec....

Hi

If you are using the ford stalks there are two different feeds to the headlight switch (left stalk), a brown wire that feeds the flash (pin 15) and a brown with black tracer (pin 56) that should connect to the light switch (pin 56) on the other stalk.

Assuming the side lights work check this connection if they don't check the feed to the lights red wire (pin 30).

The fact one headlight works and the other doesn't would point to the connection to that light as the feed is shared from the relay up to the n/s/f suspension. It then splits to both headlights.

regards

Simon

Guest Hammy360

Hi again

Just had a look at your blog pics.

looks good.

Just a bit puzzled with the fuel tank connections that appear to be on top of the tank. Sure the GBS tank doesn't have them there ?

Regards

Simon

The tank was designed by Nick (aka Shaft) and fabricated by his mate, its top notch as you would expect from Nick. Its fitted with an internal swirl pot.

Thanks for looking at the blog and your comments about how its looking

Guest Hammy360

Hi

If you are using the ford stalks there are two different feeds to the headlight switch (left stalk), a brown wire that feeds the flash (pin 15) and a brown with black tracer (pin 56) that should connect to the light switch (pin 56) on the other stalk.

Assuming the side lights work check this connection if they don't check the feed to the lights red wire (pin 30).

The fact one headlight works and the other doesn't would point to the connection to that light as the feed is shared from the relay up to the n/s/f suspension. It then splits to both headlights.

regards

Simon

cheers, they are ford stalks from the sierra, I'll check all that tomorrow

The tank was designed by Nick (aka Shaft) and fabricated by his mate, its top notch as you would expect from Nick. Its fitted with an internal swirl pot.

Thanks for looking at the blog and your comments about how its looking

Have heard of this. looks a nice job. Has one been through IVA ?

Regards

Guest dinger

Yep, mine has passed IVA with one of Nicks tanks,

John,

Your fuel pump should be triggered by the ecu, have you wired it this way? If so then you can in plug the ecu to stop the high pressure pump runnin,

Others are right, fuel pump should prime when ignition is turned on the be Contineus when running, any excess fuel will return to the tank,

Give me a ring if you need anymore info mate,

You must of been busy as not seen you on here for a while

Dave

Guest Hammy360

Yep, mine has passed IVA with one of Nicks tanks,

John,

Your fuel pump should be triggered by the ecu, have you wired it this way? If so then you can in plug the ecu to stop the high pressure pump runnin,

Others are right, fuel pump should prime when ignition is turned on the be Contineus when running, any excess fuel will return to the tank,

Give me a ring if you need anymore info mate,

You must of been busy as not seen you on here for a while

Dave

Cheers Dave,

Very busy mate in the garage! All coming together well and looking good!

Guest Hammy360

How's the 'lectrics going? Could swing by your way on a sunny day if that's any help;this week-end looks good.

Thanks mate, sorted the initial issues today but will definitely bear in mind your kind offer as Im sure its just the start of it!