Iva Fail

Thrashed

Hi Guys.

Well, had the IVA at Derby on Friday and got a fail. Now i think it was a good fail and the whole experience was very interesting, helpful and pleasant. Mick my tester was not a child eating monster as some of the testers are portrayed. He was very to the letter, but for every fail, he pointed out why it had failed and what the required standard was.

Below is my list, what does everyone think? My thoughts are in brackets.

• Steering rack mounting on the left is not seated correctly (basically twisted slightly when doing up bolts)
  • Steering intermittently jams when turning (not noticed before, but feels like steering lock coming on when driving!!!)
  • Both exterior mirrors vibrate excessively (needs extra bracing to the inside of the scuttle)
  • Master cylinder mounting holes too large for size of bolt (slotted hole with no washer, school boy error)
  • Brake pipe passes through bulkhead and fouls on edge of panel (missed a bit of trim)
  • Warning lamps obscured by steering wheel (using a small D shape wheel, going to swap for a bigger wheel)
  • Brake distribution to rear incorrect (brakes more to rear at low pressure and and full pressure, Mick said could be because the pads and shoes are all new)
  • Top edge of panel between the seat has non radiused edges (rubber trim)
  • None radiued edges: 1. exhaust mount and cover, 2. corner edge of windshield, 3. mirror stalks, 4. edges on front hubs, 5. headlamp mounting brackets, 6. crescent panel cover (rubber trim-tastic)
  • Speedo not working (worked on rolling road but stopped since, mechanical cable and etb gauge. guess cable has come loss at gearbox or stripped a thread in the gauge or gearbox)
  • No plate fitted (you need a manufacturers plate, totally missed that)
  • Stamped in VIN difficult to rear (is under the edge of the nose cone. Needs restamping in an easier to read place when the bonnet is off)
  • Front indicators vibrate excessively when the vehicle is drive (nose cone needs bracing inside)
  • Reverse lamp not working (was working 3 days ago when i checked)
  • Clutch cable mounting bolt not through nylock completely (nut needs filing down so 1 threat is through)
  • Fuel tank overflow pipe not secure and fouling suspension (just needs a cable tie)
  • Plastic trims used in close proximity to very hot exhaust parts (needs swapping for metal trim??)
  • Insecure and unprotected wiring: 1. under dash, 2. wires to fuel pump not fully protected, 3. wires near fuel tank mounting bracket not fully protected, 4. wires under wheel arches and nose cone not permanently secured (replace stick pads with sikaflex), 5. cable fouling steering column
  • Evidence of the handbrake fixing required on retest, photographic evidence.

So all in all a good day, pleased with the result and nothing fatal. A few school boy errors and a few head scratchers (speedo and reverse light).

Also on my list, but not the fail sheet is the sump. Still leaking like mad. Starting to think it must be the sump has warped with all the welding!! Also need to heli coil a few of the sump bolts as the threats are knackered on 4 bolts. Engine is coming out to do the sump any thoughts on this would be great. never done one but seems easy enough.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve sorry to here your car failed give me a ring when you need the stamps also i have a Sierra steering wheel if you need one Graham

Hi Graham. Will borrow the stamps again if you don't mind. The steering wheel situation is sorted already thanks to Bob.

Cheers Steve