No Dip Or Main Beam

Guest steve8274

Guest steve8274

hi all

still working on electrics on car.

everything now works apart from main and dip beam.

i am using the gbs loom (older type with 7 fuses) and sierra switches.

wired it up as per instructions Shaft (shown below) put on here ages ago but nothing on headlights.

the switch wire from the stalk to the relay doesnt appear to have any power when operated

i have tried different stalks in case the ones i had where faulty and still no joy

has anyone else had any issues which i may have overlooked. completely at a loss now or can someone make a suggestion what to look out for.

The fuse box is:

1; Spare

2; White ignition live to column switches, brake light switch and fuel pump feed

3; Dipped beam

4; Main beam

5; Reverse light, wipers

6; Sidelights

7; Permanent live to column switches

8; 12v feed for power point (Sat nav etc)

9; Fan

The relays as supplied are:

1) Dipped beam. The Blue/Red wires are to the light units, the Black/Orange wires are to the column switch and connect to the Sierra wiring colour Brown/White which is pin 56B

2) Main beam. The Blue/white wires are to the light units, the White/Orange wires are to the column switch and connect to the Sierra wiring colour Brown/Yellow which is pin 56A

3) Flasher relay(only 3 wires in this one). The Green/Yellow wire connects to the Hazard switch via the Sierra wiring colour Black/White which is

pin 49A.

The Green wire connects to the Hazard switch via the Sierra wiring colour Black/Red which is

pin 49.

The tails on the loom which connect to the respective components are:

Red Front side lights and rear lights.

Blue/White Main beam

Blue/Red Dipped beam

Green/Black Nearside indicators

Black/Green Offside indicators

Light Green Reverse light

Blue/Red Fog light

Grey Fuel sender +12v

White Brake light switch +12v & Fuel pump +12v

Brown/Black Brake lights (from switch at the rear)

Black/Yellow Handbrake & Low fluid warning light +12v

Red/White Horn

Light Brown Speedo sensor (2 off in a pair)

The basic engine connections are:

White/Red Starter motor exciter (solenoid)

Yellow Oil warning light

Orange Water temperature sender +12V

Yellow/Blue Alternator charge light

White/Orange Rev counter / Tacho pick up (usually coil neg)

The remaining Sierra column connections are:

(The first colours are the Zero wires and the second are the tails that are on the column switches)

Black connects to the brown (Earth)

White/Orange connects to Brown/Yellow (H/Beam relay. Pin 56A)

Orange/Black band connects to Brown/White (Dipped beam relay. Pin 56B)

Green/Red connects to Black/White (LH indicator. Pin L)

Black/Green connects to Black/Green (RH indicator. pin R)

White connects to Black (ignition live for indicators. Pin 54)

Brown connects to Red (Permanent live for Hazards. Pin H30)

Red connects to Red (Sidelight feed. Pin 30)

All blacks are earths.

thanks

steve

Edited by steve8274

Earl 83bg*** stalks supply power from S54 on the right hand stalk to 56 on the left hand stalk. The left hand stalk then switches this power between 56A/56b for dip and main. You may have relays or not. You must make sure the link wire between S54 and 56 is in place. You will get power out.

Later stalks 87BG*** and 90BG**** switch the earth of the relays. Right hand column switch must have an earth wire on 31 and there must be a link wire between 56 on the right stalk and 56 on the left stalk and an earth on 15 (yes 15) on the left stalk. When the head lights are on you should find 56A nd 56 B become earths, only one being earthed at a time.

Relays for dip and main should have a supply to 85 and 30, 86 connected to 56A or 56B and their 87's going on to either dip or main bulbs.

You should be able to trouble shoot with this info.

Nigel

Guest steve8274

Ignition ON --- position 2 on switch?? Heads don't/shouldn't work with ignition OFF.

headlights dont work at all at moment. thats what i am trying to sort out

thanks

steve

Guest steve8274

Earl 83bg*** stalks supply power from S54 on the right hand stalk to 56 on the left hand stalk. The left hand stalk then switches this power between 56A/56b for dip and main. You may have relays or not. You must make sure the link wire between S54 and 56 is in place. You will get power out.

Later stalks 87BG*** and 90BG**** switch the earth of the relays. Right hand column switch must have an earth wire on 31 and there must be a link wire between 56 on the right stalk and 56 on the left stalk and an earth on 15 (yes 15) on the left stalk. When the head lights are on you should find 56A nd 56 B become earths, only one being earthed at a time.

Relays for dip and main should have a supply to 85 and 30, 86 connected to 56A or 56B and their 87's going on to either dip or main bulbs.

You should be able to trouble shoot with this info.

Nigel

hi nigel

thanks for info

mine are the later 90bg stalks. pin 31 and 15 are definately earthed and their is alink wire between 56 on right and left stalk.

so, if i understand correctly, the switch wire will provide the earth to the relay. at the moment the relay was prewired with an earth going to it and the switch wire from the stalk also going to it.

will have a check

thanks again nigel

steve

Regarding the relays, Correct. Remove the loom earth from the relay and find it a positive supply for 85. (Can be ignition live and the headlights will only work with the ignition on or a constant live from the battery + or + busbar/fusebox and you can have heads anytime.) 86 links to 56A or B. 30 to constant live and 87 to headlight. Bobs your uncle.

I wish GBS would wake up with their wiring. They need to ask what age switches people have and supply the loom accordingly or make a loom for 87/90 switches (the majority) and supply a good ammendment sheet for people with the early switches.

Nigel

Importance of putting an earth on terminal 15 of the left switch. It provides the relay trigger earth for main beam flash. Has a switched link inside the stalk to 56A which links to the main beam relay. So Ford changed the design of the right stalk to earth switching rather than live switching (No idea why), realised it would still work fine with the old left switch design but to get flash 15 had to be earthed rather than live. They didn't renumber the terminals so you get this particular wierdness of connecting an earth to a terminal numbered 15 'ignition live' rather than correctly as 31 'earth'. Maybe it was a late change to earth switching and they had already made half a million left switches with the terminal numbered 15. Or maybe it was just an error. (Did I mention I was a bit anal about lectrics.)

Guest steve8274

just wired up relays as Nigel suggested and.....Success!

great news.

everything works now apart from my fog light, so this leads me onto next question

Using a savage switch, how do i wire the fog light up so it will pass iva. (only operate with main or dip beam)

thanks

steve

Guest Hammy360

just wired up relays as Nigel suggested and.....Success!

great news.

everything works now apart from my fog light, so this leads me onto next question

Using a savage switch, how do i wire the fog light up so it will pass iva. (only operate with main or dip beam)

thanks

steve

Steve,

Thats my next job, if you find out let me know mate

A little circuit I thought up a while ago to cover the IVA fog regs. It uses the earth link 56/56 that runs between the left and right stalks as the earth to the fog relay. This earth is only earthed if the main or dip beam are switched on. (I couldn't think how to do it without a relay). Illuminated switch could be in the supply to 86 or the earth, 85. I don't know the configuration of the savage switch but I'm sure you can work it out.

As an alternative I'm sure it is also possible to take a wire from 87 on the mains relay and 87 on the dip relay and run each through a diode to supply the savage switch which would then supply the fog direct. The diodes would need to carry enough current to power the fog(s). But I haven't a clue about electronics so have no idea what diodes you would use.

Nigel

post-21-0-98422900-1320703301_thumb.jpg

Guest steve8274

thanks again nigel

regarding the earth link wire on pin 56, on the right hand switch, there is a spare wire not connected to anything. could this be used as you mention above.

thanks

steve