Vin Number Drama!

Guest Hammy360

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Brian T

It's certainly interesting Nigel and get to meet some really nice people. The next one we are going to do is a 1945 MAC. I collected it in December from within 1/4 of a mile of the old factory site, Hall Green, Green Road actually, from the owner who collected it from the factory brand new. He is 93. He is a former engineer and "mothballed " the bike in 56, kids got in the way of riding it and he always intended to take it up at a later date. His son now wants to bring the bike back to near original and learn to ride it himself (he's 60 and never ridden a motorcycle in his life ). We loaded the back, I brought it back to Newton Abbot, next morning after 2 liters of degreaser and hot high pressure was we saw the chrome on the rims, the cylinder and magneto are like new and various other bits are good. Sadly the grease had softened the paint which was coming away in flakes , but what that did show was that this one was destined for the Military, galvanised mudguards, then Olive drab paint and finished with Velo black.

The only "modification" was that being a single sprung seat version he had added a seat for his then young wife , this was a leather pad with foam rubber inside and a zip to access the hot water bottle he thoughtfully put in there for her. Like this he and his young bride travelled the areas of France and Italy he had served in as a dispatch rider. I swear there was nearly tears off him , his son and me as we had a post load up cup of tea and he told us. Great bike , great character.

I engraved mine with a dremel. Printed the VIN number onto sticky label, stuck the label on chassis and copied over it with the engraving bit. Tore off sticky label (bit messy) and VIN done. A little unartistic in places (looks amateur) - but was passed at IVA Soton. Practice first. -Steve