Ot Computer Problem

Joel

One for the computer buffs...

My parents have an unusual problem with their pc, that I don't really know where to start with. It seems you can't save any files to disk. For example, if I right click>save as an image, it appears to save it but when you explore the destination folder there's nothing there. The same when downloading larger files like programs, the download appears to complete but the destination folder is empty.

Any ideas greatly appreciated. I'm not that familiar with Vista, and as I said it's not my pc so I don't know what changes have been made recently. The only attempted fix I've made so far was to create a new admin profile, incase the original was corrupted, but that hasn't helped.

Cheers.

Hi Joel

Have you tried a search from the start menu to find the item file name that you have saved as it may have gone somewere else. I know this may not help but you never know until you try. If you find the file try putting it into a folder.

Regards MACA

is it just things from the internet? sounds like some kind of over protective anti-virus/firewall. Can you just create/copy files on the machine generally?

What browser are you using? could be worth trying one of teh others - firefox/opera/chrome. you could have a corrupt browser maybe?

Have you done a antivirus scan? i use malwarebytes in addition to anti-virus, there is a free version.

hth

Guest Alan_builder

With most browsers when you dounload a file it is automatically saved in "Downloads" if you haven't set an alternitive place to save the file, you are then prompted to open or run or save the file.

So worth a check in Downloads, if the file is there you can manipulate it from Downloads, with some browsers / setting when you close or shut down you clear the download list. Do search for the missing saved files.

The default download folder is indeed set to 'downloads', and it's definitely not saving there or anywhere else. It does just seem to be an internet thing as I can create and save docs, bmp, etc with no problem. I can also copy and paste from a usb stick. I tried disabling the firewall and antivirus (zone alarm and AVG respectively), but it makes no difference. I've scanned with AVG, A-Squared and MSE, none of which found any nasrties, and I'm using IE and Firefox.

I can otherwise use the internet and do everything else no problem, it just won't save anything. The disk is only about 20% full, and there's a couple of other machines on the network that are all working fine. Very strange.

Any other ideas anyone?

Guest Alan_builder

Just a last quick easy check, or rather question, Have you reloaded / restarted IE and Firefox and also restarted the computer?

Both actions can cure this type of problem. Which is your default browser? have you tried making Firefox the default if it is not?