How To Source The Correct Ecu And Wiring.

Disco

I am now at the point where i need to source the ecu and wiring and need some advice as to what ,where and when.

I am building a zero zetec with an engine supplied by GBSC i have now fitted their new plenum chamber to the 16v 2 ltr engine and now need to find the wiring to all of the sensors and the ecu to drive it. I am presuming i need to source a suitable ford mondeo in order to get the right parts. Can anyone give me guidance as to the best mondeo to get the parts from (i.e. year of manufacture and model) or if there are better alternatives ( cheaper alternative) and where i can get them?

Hope you can spare me some time for advice.

Regards

Disco

you have most of what you need on the engine you already have. add an ECU, GBS advise Emerald, and have a loom to plug in (if you have P&P harness), although there are others out there.

Mondeo ECU will require a lot of work and more components than you have, as well as a interesting wiring project.

Regards

Im useing the standard mondeo ecu, Im keeping the OBD port too so I can see what the engine is doing. ECU really quite simple to wire although Im also useing the PATS (Passive anti theft system) so will also retain mondeo immobiliser. I got the ECU, key, aerial and loom for about £50 all in. Just finishing decoding all the wires and almost ready to start he up. Ford invested millions of pounds in the ecu so its good enough for me. Will be a simple turn the key and run. I have to GBS plenam which is probably the most expensive part of the injection system.

Reliable fuel injection for £50....thats what Im aiming for. Seen one already done and it starts on the button, revs well, pulls very well and most of all is cheap!

As for a nightmare wiring project, the ecu only actually needs to see a few engine sensors, etc and runs really well. Will post when its running

Guest loopyonion

Just to add fuel to the fire, stock Mondeo eec5 ecus can be remapped via obd port. This will help the finer tuning for custom plenums etc.

Add the cost of this to a standalone system? If your going to wire, fit, and diagnose a ford loom, ecu, and pats...

Standalone any day. Mega squirt and full DIY. If your seriously thinking off grafting an eec5 system onto your car, then you'll have no problems in a standalone ecu. Respect to the guy that did it;) it's not something I would do IMHO.

Ive said it before, and I'll say it again, download ecu software from dta and omex, megasquirt, and emerald. Find one your happy with. Get used to one, and take the hit financially.!

AndyJW, what year mondeo did you get the ECU and bits from? Can you give a lot more details? All the bits you need, the essential sensors, dash, any other bits the ECU needs to have present. A bit more about PATS would be great too.

Nigel

Hi Nigel, Its from a 97 mondeo and the ecu code is "owls". I can get some more info posted up when I have a bit more time on my hands!!! SOmeone else who has already done one and got it through IVA has given me alot of info. As Im retaining all mondeo systems will even have the LED light to show status of immobiliser (mondeo has the led in the clock). OBD should give me all the engine data I need and should also be able to code spare keys. The main benefit of all the work is not having to have it rolling roaded to set up.

I will send you some info soon.

Regards

Andy