Rear Diff

Guest mkeats02

Guest mkeats02

Hi

I read somewhere that the sierra rear diff has two different sizes of push in shafts.

How do I know size I need to fit my diff?

I have a 7" 3.9 diff.

Cheers

Mike

I don't think the push in part varies but I may be wrong on that as I think there are two different diameters of drive shaft, the bit between the tripodes for 1.6 and 2.0 sierras. Also the diff is not central in the car and one drive shaft is slightly longer than the other.(Or one is shorter than the other.) So you have two different sizes of drive shaft in two different ways but I think the bit that pushes in the diff is the same size for all.

Nigel

Longboarder is correct.....ish

The very rare 6 1/2" diff and the 1.3 Sierra variant had very thin shafts

Standard push fits are a little thicker

Desiel push fits have the same diameter as the thicker lobro bolt on shafts.

A push fit diff will take either the standard or the Desiel drive shafts as the push fit bit is the same

Such a gent. We live and learn. Apart from being a bit wrong about the 1.6 and 2.0 which are actually the same and missing out the fat diesel ones and the ultra skinny 1.3 ones I was absolutely spot on. At least the push in bits are the same and they are different lengths side to side. I think my score is 2 out of 5.

Yippee. That would be an A* at GCSE! :D :rolleyes:

Nigel

Sorry Nigel, not 100% correct, put i guess the pass mark is 75% !!.

I have two diffs, a 3.9 and a 3.6, both push fit shafts, one pair are thinner than the other, but the real b$%^er is that the bearing surface where the oil seals runs are different sizes too......caught me out badly, fitted everything up, ran the car & got oil pouring out..

Wish I could tell you which model they came from, but bought both as spares.

Bob

Ahhh the thick plottens

Ford parts bins must have fallen over at some time and mixed up all the diffs and drive shafts

I'm still trying to get my hands on some Desiel push in shafts to do the Lobro diff to drum brake modification.

We have fitted Lobro spline stubs to a push fit diff but there is an issue with the ends in the diff locking the planet gear shaft, cutting back is an option but then the circlip groove gets a bit thin.

There's no easy option I'm afraid.