Brake Pipe 3 Way On Top Of Dion Tube

Guest Greygo

Hello all,

I'm about to fit the brake pipes down the tunnel to the rear axle. I've noticed on various sites that the 3 way can be put on top of the Dion tube with a permanent fixture through the 6.5mm hole.

What has anyone used to hold this in place to please the IVA??

A selftapper? Must it be drilled through and have a nut/bolt to be 'rigid'?? Permanent grip paste on the threads??

Many Thanks

A self tapper would be fine but I bought a rivnut tool and a load of rivnuts. Everything on my 2B is rivnuttted rather than screwed down. Better? Not sure, neater and easier for a good looking build? Yes! A neat build instils confidence in the IVA tester!

Beware. The cross tube is not regarded by some testers as a stationary part of the chassis if mounted using bolts through the big rubber mounts at each end. Fine if the rubber mounts are removed, the spaces plated over top and bottom with some 5mm plate and a hole drilled through for the mounting bolt.

So if the crosstube is rubber mounted, the pipe down the tunnel and the three way union will have to be connected by a flexi.

Nigel

sorry for the hijack but, would having the tee offset cause an imbalance in brake application? mines on one side and the last MOT showed one side braked first but both released together.

As I have most of the rear in bits I could change if needed.

mine is fixed through the rubber mounts also has bolts through the tube to the chassis floor
I have to say I've never been happy with that mounting method for the rear beam/subframe. A mix of flexible mounting points and non flexible mountings with the intention of achieving a solid mount. The flexible mounts can only exert any mounting force if deflected from their rest position. So they're doing nothing! The solid mounts prevent any movement so effectively become the only mounting points for the subframe unless/until they give way, at which point the flexible mounts will take over.

If you are mounting or have mounted the sierra rear beam assembly with a mix of solid and flexible mounts just take out the flexible mount bolts as they are doing nothing and re-examine your fixed mounting bolts. They are taking all the strain. Still happy?

did not need a flexi
Then you didn't meet one of the inspectors who fail for this point. Lucky. Greygo might or might not have the same experience.

Nigel