The Best Buzz.....but One More Question!

richardm6994

just been on my first run out this year without any problems!! Such an amazing buzz!!! it's like driving a completly different car now that it has megajolt and tie-bars!!!

anyway... battery light on the dash starts to glow around 4k rpm and is fully lit at 5k rpm. from reading other forums, im thinking it maybe the alternator voltage regulator??(please correct me if im wrong).

Can the regulators be changed on their own? or is it a new alternator? or am I barking up the wrong tree?

voltmeter on the dash is constantly reading between 14v and 15v

Depends what type of alternator it is, how easy it is to change the regulator. And yes I would vote for regulator. Often with duff regulator the lamp will go dim or even go out if you switch on heater, headlights and wipers. It may go on safely like this for years or suddenly start to overcharge and boil/destroy your battery. Quick look on ebay for denso alternator regulator and lucas ditto shows units available for £20 ish quid.

Nigel

Up to now, I have never been sure what my alternator is as the original came straight out of the donor, and then when that alternator broke on the A38, Mr. AA man fitted a new one at the roadside (free of charge as his card machine had broke....result!!!)

After looking at the photo's on the tinterweb, I think mine is a Lucas alternator (3 pin plug on the back). I've also looked at the photo's of regulators and cannot tell if it is simply "plug and play" or if some souldering is involved?

Anyone done this work on a Lucas before?

Plenty lucas rectifiers on ebay. Tenner or less. If you haven't had the plastic end off a newish lucas alternator then its about time you did. You can check and replace the brushes (p&p) and condition of the slip rings, change the regulator (p&p unless the regulator was first used by Noah) and then gaze in wonder at the rectifier pack. Then look at a denso one to see everything done in half the space.

Nigel