Prop Shaft Failure

richardm6994

Guest mower man

Hoppo try a search on earlier posts the price I quoted was from a earlier post on the same subject. A couple of hours work @40 an hour+ parts and vat you are going to be in that sort of area HTH mower man

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hoppo

Thanks mower man been doing a search on the internet as well and found some places (none really near to me) going to ring round for a comparison on Monday

I've got the job half complete....

After messing about, I concluded that the only way to get the prop out in the exmo was to remove the diff completely. I unbolted the rear hubs to release the drive shafts from the diff & took the diff mounting bolts out (the very top bolt is a rite female dog!).

Prop came out without any problems and the UJ's are circlips so the UJ's came out without any bother. It was the gearox end that had failed....basically there was no needle bearings left in two of the spiders endcaps!!!.

I'm changing both UJ's as whilst the prop is out as I may as well. £15 per UJ and they will be delivered later on this week.

hopefully it will be back on the road next weekend so cue the rain!!!!

they are the sealed for life units....which I'm a bit unsure of because can the endcaps be taken off to fit them in the yokes? I'm just thinking that if they are sealed for life, then the endcaps dont come off???

The guy in romac reckons they do come off but is ordering in a pair of grease nipple kind just incase he's wrong.

Guest Ian & Carole

Sealed for life one are the same as the ones with grease nipples only with out the nipple if that makes sense.

When you do it start with the new joint on to the prop its self then add the diff flange next, same at the other end adding the gearbox bit last.

Just take care when fitting the new ones that none of the needles get displaced as they then get trapped crack and fail.

When building the new joint force the cup through the yoke further than needed and with the coupling in place slide said coupling out and place the next cup on, ensuring that the needles are safe. Fit one circlip in the groove and work the cup back to where it belongs and fit the clip to the other cup.

If the joint seems tight then a gentle tap to force the cup tight against its circlip.

Hope that makes sense

http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/how-to-rebuild-universal-joints-1.1289047 is a bit more eloquent than my rambelings !!!!!!!!!!!!! :80: :rofl:

Guest Ian & Carole

when greasing a prop, when do you stop? when grease comes out of the seal, or go by feel?

Just and I mean JUST as grease appears stop!!!

You could run the risk of disturbing the small seals.

Tried to fit the diff back in the car last night on my own but it was an impressive fail!!! After 2 hours of balancing the diff on the jack etc...etc....1 black finger nail, grazed arm and sore back I gave up!

This is def not a job which can easily be done on your own!!!

The A-team (Dan and Nick) are coming round tonight to get down and dirty under my car........and we might get the diff fitted as well!!! :air_kiss:

Guest Hoppo

Don’t know what to say! Was going to put glad all's going well, but doesn’t sound as if going that well at the moment, any way glad the swapping of UJ joints went well and good look for tonight in getting it all back together.

Ordered a prop, just sat waiting for the it now

Steve

a big thanks to Dan and Nick for your help in putting my car back together tonight! It's just a shame we lost that brake shoe pin because it could have been job done!

Dan, my misses gave me a *bleep*ing for not telling her that you hadnt eaten because she'd have fed you more than just cake!!!

Retaining pins on order and should be dispatched tomorrow 1st class so should arrive Friday (fingers crossed!)