V6 Type 9 Gearbox

steve_wilson

hi all

ive read about how the v6 type 9 has a better 1st gear ratio and possibly slightly stronger?

is it worth the extra effort and cost?

i've also read that it moves the engine forward by an inch or so? can anyone confirm? need to see if i've got space.

i assume its a straight swop apart from the need for some sort of gearbox spacer to compensate for the extra length on the input shaft?

i assume my current clutch flywheel etc will be ok to re-use on it too?

anyone have any experience?

thanks, steve

i have drawings somewhere for the spacer you need.

yes it does move the engine forward about an inch, it fitted ok that way in my 2b, but just redrilling the engine mount holes on the chassis

i used the same clutch/flywheel

ratio's work very well i think. 1st is now usable, and starting in 2nd is no longer a real option, with the diff i have i see about 65 in 2nd gear

not all are stonger though.... the uprated ones have a bulge on the front where the layshaft bearing is bigger

mine started off as standard but got the uprated bearing when i had it rebuilt

dave

if you could pm me the drawings for the spacer it would be much appreciated.

sounds a worthwhile mod then.

engine is going to come out anyway this winter, so its not great deal extra fuss to take the gearbox out too.

will take some measurements and make sure it'll all fit when its 1" further forward

cheers, steve

I fitted one using the Caterham spacer, much better than the standard type 9 ratio, still fancy the 2.7 1st gear modification in the V6 box

V6 box ratios are

1st. 3.36

2nd. 1.81

3rd. 1.21

4th. 1

5th 0.82

f09c7d6b.jpg

1e2a252f.jpg

Looks ok, you just need to check whether your gearbox has the larger bearing cover if so you need the recess as shown in my photo

As the gear selector rod hole goes all the way trough the adaptor you will need 2 gaskets

Edited by Snapperpaul

To start ask the supplier for a photo of the other side or do you mean you have an older gearbox with the flush front cover?

If so the standard type 9 usually lasts ok so a V6 box with flush front should be ok.

M I wouldn't worry

Edited by Snapperpaul

I fitted one using the Caterham spacer, much better than the standard type 9 ratio, still fancy the 2.7 1st gear modification in the V6 box

V6 box ratios are

1st. 3.36

2nd. 1.81

3rd. 1.21

4th. 1

5th 0.82

f09c7d6b.jpg

1e2a252f.jpg

just looking at your picture again... is that an rs2000 bellhousing?

i've been trying to find out if a cossie flywheel and clutch set-up would fit inside the rs2000 ellhousing for some time.

ovbviously ill have to fit a cossie crank and what not, but if its possile then it may well e worth it for what i have planned

do you by any chance known if its possile?

RS 2000 housing light steel flywheel uprated

RS2000 clutch arm, standard and V6 ones don't fit

Sierra clutch dowled standard crank

The standard crank is very good no need to go Cossy crank unless you are going ballistic with boost

its not the cossie crank i was after really, i wanted to be able to fit a cossie clutch, slightly bigger dia, and can handle a fair bit more torque. only thing is the cossie flywheel and clutch are too big to fit in the standard type 9 bellhosuing.

i'd heard from someone that an rs2000 bellhousing is bigger and it will fit in, so just trying to find out if that is the case.

however after a chat with a couple of people over on turbosport, they seem to be of the opinion that a uprated pinto clutch will be fine on a car as light as this, so i'll chance it i think, saves a good few pounds anyway!!